Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about applying to Imperial next year as I am currently doing my as levels. I checked the Imperial website for entry requirements and they want a solid A*A*A in three subjects.

Does everyone applying to that subject have to get those grades, or do you think they will accept an A* AA.

Any opinions are appreciated, Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STRANGER2)
    I'm thinking about applying to Imperial next year as I am currently doing my as levels. I checked the Imperial website for entry requirements and they want a solid A*A*A in three subjects.

Does everyone applying to that subject have to get those grades, or do you think they will accept an A* AA.

One thing for sure is that your A-Level Mathematics need to be an A*.

Many universities usually offer potential candidates with leniency of one grade less than the standard entry requirements (So if the grade req is AAA, they'll usually offer you at least AAB). Though I do think this is subject to you having good references, excellent personal statement etc.

One problem is its Imperial College London we're talking about here so i'm not too sure how this applies to a world top 20 university. But i do know UCL does lower the entry req slightly for some courses. Chances are Imperial might be on the same boat.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah they'll want A*A*A, they have the ability to be picky. The thing is there isn't that much difference between the top 10 engineering schools so you can still get a very good education with AAB or ABB even at other universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Yeah they'll want A*A*A, they have the ability to be picky. The thing is there isn't that much difference between the top 10 engineering schools so you can still get a very good education with AAB or ABB even at other universities.
    Yeah, but it's hard to believe that hundreds of students that enter every year are ALL so good to get A*A*A!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah, but it's hard to believe that hundreds of students that enter every year are ALL so good to get A*A*A!
    I mean it's not that difficult to believe when thousands of people with the same grades get into Cambridge and Oxford, then there's the overflow that goes to places like Durham, Warwick, UCL, LSE, etc. Plus maths subjects are easier to get A*s in than other subjects.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yup, there are. Many will actually get A*A*A*A.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by MAS98)
    One thing for sure is that your A-Level Mathematics need to be an A*.

Many universities usually offer potential candidates with leniency of one grade less than the standard entry requirements (So if the grade req is AAA, they'll usually offer you at least AAB). Though I do think this is subject to you having good references, excellent personal statement etc.

One problem is its Imperial College London we're talking about here so i'm not too sure how this applies to a world top 20 university. But i do know UCL does lower the entry req slightly for some courses. Chances are Imperial might be on the same boat.
    Imperial will most probably not accept you with A*AA. Most people I know at Imperial have 3A*s, actually.

ReputationRep:
    Also given that they give higher offers than A*A*A, you'll want to at the very least meet their minimum

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 27, 2016

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.