Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, so basically in the middle of my year 12 (AS) year a close family member was murdered (I say this because the legal side of this is extremely exhausting and sensitive) so basically my whole life turned upside down. I decided to continue with my exams (despite given the choice to opt out) and I managed an A-English, C-Biology and 2E's (Chemistry and Maths), I had always wanted to do Medicine but after these grades my friends and teachers said it was basically out of the question but my counselors and family think I might be in with a chance if I apply for maybe a 6 year Medicine course. Because of the nature of my sister's passing away the whole year and throughout this year, I have been attending court cases, as her murderer has to be prosecuted, all in all I missed about 3 months of school so naturally I didn't get the grades I wanted. I am carrying on with English and Biology into A2 and resitting my whole Chemistry as although I could've gone into A2 I wasn't sure how stable this year was going to be. I was told to not do Maths, as again, trial is continuing on so my teacher put me in for another humanities because it would be "less pressure" especially as grievance doesn't really have an expiration date. I just wanted to know if anyone has been or seen someone go through something similar and if I should give up Medicine and go onto BioMed or something similar. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leicesterlife)
    Hey guys, so basically in the middle of my year 12 (AS) year a close family member was murdered (I say this because the legal side of this is extremely exhausting and sensitive) so basically my whole life turned upside down. I decided to continue with my exams (despite given the choice to opt out) and I managed an A-English, C-Biology and 2E's (Chemistry and Maths), I had always wanted to do Medicine but after these grades my friends and teachers said it was basically out of the question but my counselors and family think I might be in with a chance if I apply for maybe a 6 year Medicine course. Because of the nature of my sister's passing away the whole year and throughout this year, I have been attending court cases, as her murderer has to be prosecuted, all in all I missed about 3 months of school so naturally I didn't get the grades I wanted. I am carrying on with English and Biology into A2 and resitting my whole Chemistry as although I could've gone into A2 I wasn't sure how stable this year was going to be. I was told to not do Maths, as again, trial is continuing on so my teacher put me in for another humanities because it would be "less pressure" especially as grievance doesn't really have an expiration date. I just wanted to know if anyone has been or seen someone go through something similar and if I should give up Medicine and go onto BioMed or something similar. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi. I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. If you can get really good grades in the three subjects you're carrying on with it should be fine. From what I've heard your situation counts as extenuating circumstances which will allow you to do a levels in more than two years for medicine. Your best bet is to check with a number of universities just to be sure.
    Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.