Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys
    I was considering the form and structure of Tess but what's the importance of having chapters and phases (specific to this novel)??
    Not many novels have phases so surely there must be some significance to it
    Thanks 👌🏻

ReputationRep:
    I guess I'm not the only one doing Tess!! Do you have any revision notes?

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    As the novel is similar to the book of Genesis (eg Angel and Tess being compared to Adam and Eve), the 7 phases could represent 7 says of the week that God created the world in, in the book of Genesis.
    However, it can also be argued that they simply represent stages of her life because as a reader, you live her life with her.
    Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayleybraines)
    Hello!
    As the novel is similar to the book of Genesis (eg Angel and Tess being compared to Adam and Eve), the 7 phases could represent 7 says of the week that God created the world in, in the book of Genesis.
    However, it can also be argued that they simply represent stages of her life because as a reader, you live her life with her.
    Good luck!!
    Wow!! Thank you so much!!! That's really opened my eyes to a new way of seeing it
    👌🏻💯👌🏻💯

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentjjs)
    I guesos I'm not the only one doing Tess!! Do you have any revision notes?
    Im planning on just learning quotes and context coz for Tess there's too much to learn 😭😭
    How are you revising for it??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrystalPark)
    Im planning on just learning quotes and context coz for Tess there's too much to learn 😭😭
    How are you revising for it??
    Don't worry I'm in exactly the same boat... and honestly just trying to find quotes with good symbolic things to analyse but 1850s Britain is hard to get much context for me; all I can say is that it was a poverty-stricken era ruled by social inequality! Wbu???

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how you would answer an unseen prose? Like in terms of the paragraphs and what each paragraph is on? like i know it will depend on the question, but just want an overall summary on what it will be like! Thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.