Turn on thread page Beta

Would you date a person, without your parents approval? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I certainly couldn't,i mean how could you date a person that your disapprove of.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely

ReputationRep:
    Yes. My mum didn't like my partner at first and tried to get in the way of us and his dad didn't like me at first and thought I was this, that and the next thing but 7 years on, we all get on like a house on fire now. The were no reasons for either parents to dislike us. I think both parents were just being overprotective and worried because it was our first relationship and we were young and to them, we would still be their babies. It all worked out well though and everyone has learned from it

ReputationRep:
    I'm astonished that any young person would consider asking parents' approval before dating someone. Do you live in a prison? Have you been brainwashed? Or are you just unable to make your own decisions?

Any parent that would be concerned to approve someone their child (over 16) was dating would be a completely unreasonable control freak, and I speak as a parent.

ReputationRep:
    Of course
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Without approval does not mean dissaproval

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I'm astonished that any young person would consider asking parents' approval before dating someone. Do you live in a prison? Have you been brainwashed? Or are you just unable to make your own decisions?

Any parent that would be concerned to approve someone their child (over 16) was dating would be a completely unreasonable control freak, and I speak as a parent.
    Well I think that it is important for a parent to have a say in who their child dates, as they know best.
    I need for my parents to be okay with the girl that i am dating, as it is very important as i do not want to bring shame to my family
    They're wiser and have experience so i trust their judgement

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid question.

My parents have nothing to do with my personal life. I wouldn't trust them anyway because they were so good at picking the right person they got divorced.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    Well I think that it is important for a parent to have a say in who their child dates, as they know best.
    I need for my parents to be okay with the girl that i am dating, as it is very important as i do not want to bring shame to my family
    You sound as if you either live in a religious household, or have travelled back in time to the 1930s. You also sound as if you expect every relationship with the opposite sex to result in marriage, which is ridiculous. Do you really intend to consult your parents on every dating partner you have, even if there are thirty of them?

ReputationRep:
    Have done before yeah.
    It depends on the reason tbh. If they approve of him because he has a criminal record for murder or something I wouldn't (but I highly doubt I would date someone with a criminal record)
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Of course not,i've never asked my mums opinion on dating someone.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't seek their approval per se, but would rather have an aknowledgement that they are fine with me and her through our actions and what they see rather than words. Some of us love our parents very much, and would rather not destroy the relationship.

ReputationRep:
    I certainly couldn't,i mean how could you date a person that your disapprove of.
    Parents*

Yes I would. I'm the one who likes them for who they are not my parents.

(Original post by DiddyDec)
    What a stupid question.

My parents have nothing to do with my personal life. I wouldn't trust them anyway because they were so good at picking the right person they got divorced.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree. Your the one that would be living your partner not them.

ReputationRep:
    Tell your parents or you will probably end up just like Romeo and Juliet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You sound as if you either live in a religious household, or have travelled back in time to the 1930s. You also sound as if you expect every relationship with the opposite sex to result in marriage, which is ridiculous. Do you really intend to consult your parents on every dating partner you have, even if there are thirty of them?
    Yes I admit to growing up on an old fashioned and conservative household, and tradition is very important to me.
    I do expect to take every relationship seriously, so marriage will always be n the picture.
    Yes, but I will not be suddenly dating numerous women, as I like to take things slow.

ReputationRep:
    Do. They. ****.

Want to know what my dad said when he found out I first smoked weed? "Drugs are bad, I've never done them so neither should you."

Want to know what he said the second time?
    "I've done them so you don't have to".

Years later, I found out that he used to regularly hotbox his mates front room with bongs (yes, plural).

Whilst anecdotal evidence doesn't really prove much, I'm sure I'm not alone in experiencing this kind of arse-wittery form of logic and/or lies that parents use to control their kids behaviour.

If your parents are dictating your life then they don't need you to bring shame upon the family; they're doing it fine by themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I mean I would want them to approve but oh well if they don't :dontknow:
    If both my friends and my family disapprove then I'll need to hear their reasons then think more.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

I haven't dated yet, but I doubt my parents would come to mind if I was considering doing so and with whom.

ReputationRep:
    hell yeah

ReputationRep:
    No. My parents don't care what race I date but they sure as heck would not be happy if I brought him a guy who just smokes, has no plan for life, and just wants me for sex.

Other than that, they don't really care. Oh, and my Dad would like to meet or have an interview with the guy I would date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    Yes.

I haven't dated yet, but I doubt my parents would come to mind if I was considering doing so and with whom.
    Why would they? Imagine the scene:

Boy: Will you come out with me on Saturday? I'll buy you dinner.

Girl: Yes, that would be lovely.

(Thinks) About time too, I've been waiting for this for weeks.

Boy: Wait! I must ask my parents if they approve of you first.

Girl: But they have never met me!

Boy: Nevertheless, I need their approval.

Girl: Let's not bother, then.

(Thinks) Wow! Thanks goodness I found out so quickly. What a plonker!

Boy: Boohoo.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 25, 2016
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.