Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I feel completely unnatural whilst driving a car. I’m learning to drive, currently had 28 lessons. I’m NO-WHERE near even thinking about taking my test yet. Now, I’d be happy to move slowly along, and take my time, as I’m not very good at learning new things. However, my parents are putting a lot of pressure of me, to learn faster. I just feel as it though, I’m just not picking it up at all. I mean, there’s really basic things I’m STILL doing wrong. I dread my lessons, and seem to be learning nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley_2k4)
    I feel completely unnatural whilst driving a car. I’m learning to drive, currently had 28 lessons. I’m NO-WHERE near even thinking about taking my test yet. Now, I’d be happy to move slowly along, and take my time, as I’m not very good at learning new things. However, my parents are putting a lot of pressure of me, to learn faster. I just feel as it though, I’m just not picking it up at all. I mean, there’s really basic things I’m STILL doing wrong. I dread my lessons, and seem to be learning nothing.
    try and take 2 lessons a week

ReputationRep:
    Ignore your parents....you're the one driving....not them...take things in your own time.....learn it your own way. There's no point rushing to please them..and ending up not learning properly! Don't worry..you'll be fine!

G

ReputationRep:
    i dont know what to say

i really like it. the whole speed is really cool.

just think how fun it would be to drive everyone around in your own car. ALLLLLL the freedom!

good luck

ReputationRep:
    I do have two lessons a week

ReputationRep:
    What's your instructor like?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to be controversial but 28 lessons?
    Ive only done around 10 but i seem to have fitted in just about now, i prefre to drive fast as there is less chance of stalling etc, and pretty much since there is nothing to do except ster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    What's your instructor like?
    she's really nice

ReputationRep:
    Hey at least ur learning to drive unlike some (me). Take your time and that way u may feel more at ease. My parents are putting pressure on me to start learning to drive and im so scared that i wont. I think i will be absolutely crap at it and dont have much confidence with anything at the mo. Try to talk to your parents and explain ur feelings about it. stick with it and good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I used to dread my lessons and felt I was learning quite slowly, and it took ages to book my test. I kept doing things wrong and forgetting them unless I really thought about them. I cried about driving, panicked before my lessons, tried to get out of going as much as I could. But I knew I had to stick it out and that I could do it. I really wanted the independence as some of my friends had already passed I knew how good it would be.

Learning to drive doesn't happen overnight, keep trying and persevering and the more practise the better, and try and think about driving at random times during the day, just the procedures you have to go through to stop the car or to turn a corner or anything so it becomes like 2nd nature.

I, in the end, had 35 lessons, passed 1st time and only got 1 minor

ReputationRep:
    Are you insured on your parents' car? If you are, then get them to practise with you - a lot cheaper than lessons (although the first few times are a bit hard on the old nerves :eek: )

That's mostly what I did; I had a couple of lessons to get me started, then drove in my Mum's car as much as I could when we were going places, whilst having lessons when I had time to learn all the skills. I must have practised for hours and hours with Mum, and it paid off, whilst not having to spend hideous amounts on lessons.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Helenia]
    That's mostly what I did; I had a couple of lessons to get me started, then drove in my Mum's car as much as I could when we were going placesQUOTE]

I cannot stand practising with my mum - she always puts her foot down on an imaginary brake pedal whilst i'm driving, grips the window, sighs at everything, peers over to see how fast i'm going, then ALWAYS puts the handbrake on for me just as I'm about to do it - very irritating!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry it may take time to get used to but at least you then will not go around knocking down old people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steerpike1985)
    I cannot stand practising with my mum - she always puts her foot down on an imaginary brake pedal whilst i'm driving, grips the window, sighs at everything, peers over to see how fast i'm going, then ALWAYS puts the handbrake on for me just as I'm about to do it - very irritating!
    Oh, my Mum was hopeless for ages - whenever there was anything that might be slightly hazardous she would do this horrible sharp-intake-of-breath thing which really started to get on my nerves after a while. At one point I pulled over and had a go at her, telling her that I hadn't hit anything yet and wasn't about to, I might not be perfect but her being like that really wasn't helping anything. She was better after that, but still does it on occasion. What annoys me is that she drives far too close to people if they're going slowly, close enough that I would be really nervous if I were the person in front, and has a go at me if I say anything :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Try not to worry too much. Some people just aren't natural drivers, and don't enjoy it as much as others seem too, but that doesn't mean that you won't get the hang of it eventually. 28 lessons isn't too much at all - I learnt for two years, havng one lesson a week: I'm not that bright when it comes to maths but I'm sure that comes to more that 28. And I still haven't even passed yet!

At least you're bothering to learn to drive: just keep on trucking and you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I had probably about 70 hours of lessons or something like that, over a year, and it took me 4 tests to pass but I go there eventually and was a more experienced driver by the end of it.

ReputationRep:
    ive had 20 lessons and im confident now, just keep practising and you will get some confidence, i think my instructor says his students normally need about 30 lessons before they take their lessons, so im nearly there i hope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    the whole speed is really cool.
    yeah speed is cool, until youre told 2 seconds later that you are 5mph above the speed limit, where most cars are driving at 50 (even thought speed limit's at 30)... that really pisses me off, not cos of the instructor, but cos i know i have to drive slow and then inadvertently piss off the people behind me.

ReputationRep:
    It depends where you live, I know in Manchester 50-60 lessons is pretty much average due to heavy traffic conditions. Any Manchester students will can probably guess how hard is to drive through Fallowfield at term time with all them buses.

ReputationRep:
    60 lessons average, and the thread starter has had 28!?! People must be slow learners or I must be a natural, as I had 9, and none of my mates had more than 15.

As Helenia said though, try n get out in ur parents car, will save u on lessons and will get your confidence up, which is what its all about.

Good luck!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.