Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    in Coventry its a 30% pass rate and most people have an average of 40 lessons i think i had 38 lessons and passed wit 14 minors hehe ye im very lucky...anywayz driving aint even that good! id rather just sit in the car and do nuthin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jay9386)
    in Coventry its a 30% pass rate and most people have an average of 40 lessons i think i had 38 lessons and passed wit 14 minors hehe ye im very lucky...anywayz driving aint even that good! id rather just sit in the car and do nuthin
    that bad? why is it like this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sm0273)
    60 lessons average, and the thread starter has had 28!?! People must be slow learners or I must be a natural, as I had 9, and none of my mates had more than 15.

As Helenia said though, try n get out in ur parents car, will save u on lessons and will get your confidence up, which is what its all about.

Good luck!
    Where do you live? If you live in countryside with not much traffic then driving would be a doddle. There is far more hassles in big cities.

ReputationRep:
    i had my first driving lesson today
    although i'm hearing a lot of different things from different people.....first i heard you need the amount of hours of lessons that you age is (ie. i need 18 hours before i'm ready for a test as i'm 18) then i heard you need anout 20-30. today my instructor told me some people have 40ish hours and now i'm hearing 60? i'm having 2hr lessons at a time, 2/3 times a week, but i'm forking out on sooo much. also the books are expensive, i've got the highway code but apparantly i need this book about road signs on top of that ('know yuor traffic signs'-£2.50) and this huge book on called, 'driving essential skills-£12.99. i should also get this CD-ROM for the hazard perceptions test that about £10 from PC World! :eek:
    is everyone buying these or borrowing them or what? do you think i'll be able to get copies from the library?

ReputationRep:
    I've had 38 lssons andmy test is booked for 16th september

I had a lesson today and my instructor saysI was too hesitant to do anything
    If I carry on like that theres no way I'd be ready for septmaber.

Anyway when you feel more confidet book your test because I had to wait three months for mine

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my lessons in Belgium and will probably take my test there. After 18 hours, you can drive unaccompanied for up to six months, and then take your test.
    Pass rate 80 percent - no wonder the Belgian are the world's worst drivers

ReputationRep:
    You will need to practise the hazard perceptio part of the theory test as it is harder to pass.
    Most people pass the questions but fail the hazard test in the theory test.
    I spent £10 on a CD an bought the DSA theory test book.
    The questions are exactly the same as in the book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Where do you live? If you live in countryside with not much traffic then driving would be a doddle. There is far more hassles in big cities.
    I live in Stirling city, where it is very busy - I must be a quick learner.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but you can't be tested in the countryside because there aren't enough things like roundabouts and traffic light-controlled junctions. We have to go and take our tests in big towns/cities, which we're not even that familiar with because we don't live there. It's not like we have it easy, trust me! :mad:

I like driving on nice country A roads, almost better than motorways (until you have to overtake something). Going down the real windy lanes is scary though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Yes, but you can't be tested in the countryside because there aren't enough things like roundabouts and traffic light-controlled junctions. We have to go and take our tests in big towns/cities, which we're not even that familiar with because we don't live there. It's not like we have it easy, trust me! :mad:

I like driving on nice country A roads, almost better than motorways (until you have to overtake something). Going down the real windy lanes is scary though.
    But you will find pass rates are lower in the cities unless everybody underestimates how many lessons they have had or have simply lied. A nearest big twon in many places is like a suburb in the city though. For example where my cousins live they did their test around Brigg which is a town of around 10,000 people if that. You don't get any nice open roads in the cities. When I was having lessons getting into 4th gear was very very rare. Most my driivng was pulling in and out of buses all the time it was just pure stress and it made me ill.

I suppose at least its flat where I live which is one advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steerpike1985)
    I cannot stand practising with my mum - she always puts her foot down on an imaginary brake pedal whilst i'm driving, grips the window, sighs at everything
    dear god, I think we must both have the same mum :eek: . When I was learning to drive my mum did exactly the same to me, they must learn it at "How to annoy your offspring" school.

ReputationRep:
    But you will find pass rates are lower in the cities unless everybody underestimates how many lessons they have had or have simply lied. A nearest big twon in many places is like a suburb in the city though. For example where my cousins live they did their test around Brigg which is a town of around 10,000 people if that. You don't get any nice open roads in the cities. When I was having lessons getting into 4th gear was very very rare. Most my driivng was pulling in and out of buses all the time it was just pure stress and it made me ill.

I suppose at least its flat where I live which is one advantage.
    I'd hate that. City driving is a total *****. I just don't want you to go around ****ging us off and saying we have it easy. You have to have a different style of driving to get around here than you would in a city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kez-man)
    dear god, I think we must both have the same mum :eek: . When I was learning to drive my mum did exactly the same to me, they must learn it at "How to annoy your offspring" school.
    Lol, my mum does exactly the same thing. I think it's the fact that I drive her car and she's terrified of me driving into a wall. It's nice to know how much confidence she has in me. Can't blame her really though, looking at the state of my driving

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipsCDRW)
    Hayley2004 do you speak Welsh? Or take lessons in Welsh?
    yeps, I sure do lol

ReputationRep:
    Catch the bus. There's no point in doing something if it makes you feel like crap.

ReputationRep:
    The DSA published average is 40 hours of driving before they recommend you take your test.

I started Driving last June, its now over a year and ive failed twice, got another test in september. I really cant be arsed to put myself through another test if fail the next one.

I think im just gonna buy a sparkly push bike and be a healthy commuter :P

Good luck to anyone taking their test soon!

ReputationRep:
    I've had seven lessons so far and I'm getting more confident. I never stall anymore, but sometimes I do stupid things like forgetting to signal. Last week I even forgot to put my seatbelt on! I'm insured on my mum's car but have only been out in it twice because she's always using it! I heard that 30 lessons was average, but my dad passed after 12 and he's beginning to worry about how much all my lessons are costing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I've had seven lessons so far and I'm getting more confident. I never stall anymore, but sometimes I do stupid things like forgetting to signal. Last week I even forgot to put my seatbelt on! I'm insured on my mum's car but have only been out in it twice because she's always using it! I heard that 30 lessons was average, but my dad passed after 12 and he's beginning to worry about how much all my lessons are costing!
    Your dad probably passed in the 1970's though, what your parents never tell you is the roads were much quieter back then and the test itself was much shorter

Don't let you parents preasurise you, take as long as you need. 100 lessons can be quite common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kez-man)
    haha! I don't think my mum has any nails left after driving with me. Which is fair enough considering how badly I do drive.

ReputationRep:
    100 lessons can be quite common.
    really?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.