The Student Room Group

Computer science university matter?

I'm just curious whether what university you do computer science at matters. I've heard that it doesn't if you be incredibly productive at university and have a lot to show in terms of extra-circular as well as maintaining a portfolio of work you've done.

What do people think?
Yes it does. Massively. The amount and depth in which you get taught varies massively. It varies more with the university ranking. Top ranked universities teach to a greater depth than lower ranked.
Original post by Incongruous
Yes it does. Massively. The amount and depth in which you get taught varies massively. It varies more with the university ranking. Top ranked universities teach to a greater depth than lower ranked.

I've assumed this point would come up. But couldn't you self-teach yourself the harder content and then demonstrate your understanding of this by doing work on it?
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
I've assumed this point would come up. But couldn't you self-teach yourself the harder content and then demonstrate your understanding of this by doing work on it?

You potentially could teach yourself content which your degree doesn't, nothing to stop you from that.

It's not only the degree content that matters, it is also the rigour of the course at that institution. Having that university name, for something like Computer Science, does make a differnece.

There was an interesting scatter graph on TSR that plotted the level of employment for computer science of a university to the average grades of the applicants. There was a clear correlation between both.
You potentially could teach yourself content which your degree doesn't, nothing to stop you from that.

It's not only the degree content that matters, it is also the rigour of the course at that institution. Having that university name, for something like Computer Science, does make a differnece.

There was an interesting scatter graph on TSR that plotted the level of employment for computer science of a university to the average grades of the applicants. There was a clear correlation between both.

So where should I be looking to apply in terms of league tables? 50 min?
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
So where should I be looking to apply in terms of league tables? 50 min?

The best university that your grades allow.
The best university that your grades allow.

This ^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending