Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is what is worrying me quite a lot about universities actually, the accommodation side. I feel like if you mess up on this, and end up in dirty halls every night, it will put you on a downer. All I really want is an en suite, clean and modern building with maybe a gym nearby and at least 250 people. And it has to be on or within 3 miles of the university campus.

Is this possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worried_mess)
    This is what is worrying me quite a lot about universities actually, the accommodation side. I feel like if you mess up on this, and end up in dirty halls every night, it will put you on a downer. All I really want is an en suite, clean and modern building with maybe a gym nearby and at least 250 people. And it has to be on or within 3 miles of the university campus.

Is this possible?
    Of course its possible, just bear in mind that everybody else wants exactly the same thing

ReputationRep:

Is this possible?
    It's exactly what everyone wants so there's a high demand for rooms like that - which means it's probably unlikely you'll get it...I am so not going to get my first choice accomodation. Grr :mad:

ReputationRep:

Is this possible?
    It is possible. With the university i went to their ensuite is right near the uni and is so nice. But i dont know what to do. I mean im thinking that i should go in the halls because i dont want to seem an outsider. The ensuite rooms are quite away from the halls so i'm not sure what i should do. I dont want to share my room or anything which is why i wanted to go for the ensuite. Plus i cant ge my room until i get my results even though i already have the grades :mad: and they told me there is a demand for the better rooms. So i guess i will be in the worst of the lot.

ReputationRep:
    hi, ME AGAIN! hee hee
    where are u hoping to go to? or have u not decided? are u wanting halls or self-catering. ive applied to exeter for accommodation and will hopefully be getting self catering with en suite, and there is a swimming pool next to it and its right in the centre of campus so gym literally only 2 minutes walk aswell as the pub! if the uni's ure looking at are anything like exeter they will have amazing accomodation - its literally all virutally brand new and the only 'dirty' one is being pulled down and replaced by term time 2004. the only downside to exeter as its v expensive. my accommodation will be 87 pounds and halls r well over 100 particularly if u want en suite... so u have to weigh it up, u'll either get lovely and expensive or cheap and nasty. my parents are paying for mine - so im not bothered about price

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's possible, I got that last year at Cardiff along with thousands of other first years just make sure you send your accomodation forms back as soon as you get them!

ReputationRep:
    does it really make a great deal of difference then how early you apply for accommodation? as i was told they arent allocated until results come out?! i hope this is the case, as i didnt reply until about a month after receiving it!! Though i think i got given an offer at uni, quite early...I HOPE!! i dont wanna share a bathroom!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    does it really make a great deal of difference then how early you apply for accommodation? as i was told they arent allocated until results come out?! i hope this is the case, as i didnt reply until about a month after receiving it!! Though i think i got given an offer at uni, quite early...I HOPE!! i dont wanna share a bathroom!!!!
    Thats what they said to me. They will only let me have accommodation when they see my results :mad: . I hear what your saying. I aint gonna share a bathroom. I will make a best friend in the ensuite room if it boils down to the fact that i have to share.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the university I should think. At Cardiff last year they did it by two dates, the date you replied with them as your firm and then the date you sent you your accomodation forms back (obviously the sooner you accept them as your firm the sooner you get your accomodation forms) and then they start allocating places after the results ... firm first, then insurance then clearing people.

ReputationRep:
    At Nottingham, they're allocated after results come out but in the order that the forms were recieved- so it odes pay to get them in early. I filled mine in online 30 minutes after the form opened. :cool:

Other Unis might be different though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    Thats what they said to me. They will only let me have accommodation when they see my results :mad: . I hear what your saying. I aint gonna share a bathroom. I will make a best friend in the ensuite room if it boils down to the fact that i have to share.
    I thought you were going to Cardiff? Over half the rooms there are ensuite so there's a good chance you would get one ... remember that not everyone applying will want one as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    At Nottingham, they're allocated after results come out but in the order that the forms were recieved- so it odes pay to get them in early. I filled mine in online 30 minutes after the form opened. :cool:

Other Unis might be different though.
    NOOOOOOOO. hope exeter is not like that, or i too will befriend an en-suite person!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Emmz-)
    I thought you were going to Cardiff? Over half the rooms there are ensuite so there's a good chance you would get one ... remember that not everyone applying will want one as well.
    if u have a shared bathroom, would they be single sex corridoors? that would be a bit **** if that was the case!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Emmz-)
    That makes me feel better. . But i also applied to swansea and Newport. Swansea are really nice when i went for an interview as were Cardiff. Newport on the other hand were extra nice they keep e-mailing me and saying how happy they are that i may study with them. They also keep sending me letters with lecturers e-mails so that if i have any questions to drop them a message and they will get back to me. The other two unis didnt do this. I feel a bit let down by them. What are your views on Cardiff?

ReputationRep:
    if u have a shared bathroom, would they be single sex corridoors? that would be a bit **** if that was the case!
    I'm not really sure about that, I would have thought so though. You could always ask for an all girl flat if you do have to share the bathroom.

ReputationRep:
    nooo - im saying i wudnt want to be in a single sex corridoor - it wud be a shame to only have girls around - so another reason why i WOULDNT want a shared bathroom!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    That makes me feel better. . But i also applied to swansea and Newport. Swansea are really nice when i went for an interview as were Cardiff. Newport on the other hand were extra nice they keep e-mailing me and saying how happy they are that i may study with them. They also keep sending me letters with lecturers e-mails so that if i have any questions to drop them a message and they will get back to me. The other two unis didnt do this. I feel a bit let down by them. What are your views on Cardiff?
    What subject do you wanna do? I'm not meaning to sound funny but Newport will keep emailing you and stuff because it's not such a good uni as Cardiff or Swansea, and the fact you've got offers from both of them suggests you must be pretty smart so Newport are gonna be desperate for someone like you.

I absolutely adore Cardiff, it's just an amazing all round city for students. The university is up there as one of the best, the students union is one of the best in the UK and everything is just really good I can't recommend it enough!

Have you not been there to have a look?

ReputationRep:
    nooo - im saying i wudnt want to be in a single sex corridoor - it wud be a shame to only have girls around - so another reason why i WOULDNT want a shared bathroom!
    I would hate to be the sharing with guys only. I want it to be mixed.

ReputationRep:
    You are not going to like this!

http://www.unofficial-guides.com/gui...mmodation.html

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh right I see. Well even if you are on a single sex corridor there would probably still be lads in your block or house or whatever. And if they're in a single sex corridor too then they're gonna be up to the girls corridor as soon as they can!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 5, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.