Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please comment if you think these are wrong/you know some questions I missed etc.

1. a) A=iris, controls the amount of light entering the eye
    B=retina, where the image is focused, detects the light rays [2]

b) cornea, lens [2]

c) They each receive different alleles from the parents so their phenotypes are different from having different recessive/dominant alleles [possibly 2]

d) The 2 eyes see images which overlap and the brain compares the two to judge distance - seeing how similar/different the images are [2]

Total: 8

2. a) auxins [1]

b) Charlotte - the roots are growing towards gravity so are positvely geotrophic [2]

Total: 3

3. a) 33g [1]

b) She also needs protein for the growing foetus - her EAR would increase [1]

c) f f (mother) F f (father) = 50% [2]

d) t t (mother) T t (father) = 50% [2]

Total: 6

4. a) stimulant because increasing the amount of neurotransmitters [2]

b) 6 mark - describe the graph and explain why a placebo is used eg reduces psychological effects, fairer test, accurately see if the drug has any effect [6]

5. a) The tigers have a lack of habitats so fewer reliable food sources, possible mating partners etc. [3]

b) As the numbers of predator increase, the numbers of prey decrease. There is cyclical fluctuation - the predators and prey have similar graphs but a time difference. [2]

Total: 5

6. a) Phylum, Order, Genus [2]

b) They evolve with different gene pools and eventually their DNA becomes so different they are considered different species [2]

Total: 4

7. a) they compete with other organisms eg. bees for the nectar, as well as compete with each other (interspecific/intraspecific competition) [1]

b) Their habitat and role in that habitat - they both play the same role of feeding on the nectar in their habitat [1]

c) They have evolved to feed from oak trees instead of bushes so have different mouth parts to allow them to do this [1]

8. a) 1940-1980 [1]

b)

c) The gradient of the line - there will probably be a range for this as the graph was a little ambiguous so 0.5-0.7/80 = 0.00625-0.00875 [2]

d) With a hugely increasing population, it will become harder to think about the future when developing because there will be more people now to consider or something like that [2]

Total:

9. The controversial 6 mark - 2 or 5%? (I put 2). The energy is lost by egestion, excretion and respiration. There is not enough energy left for another trophic level because the efficiency is so low - most of the energy at each stage is used for things other than growth. [6]

10. a) D because it has a thicker wall to allow for higher pressure blood to travel to the body and is the mirror image of a normal heart [2]

b) I'm not sure [how is the transplant surgery different]- I put the vessels eg. vena cava would be on the opposite side to normal [2]

c) 6300 [1]

d) ad: the doctors need to know if someone has it to carry out treatments, quite a few people are affected by it,

dis: not that many people are affected by it, could be expensive, could cause harm to the foetus, parents may disagree [2]

Total: 7

11. a) 6 marks, advantages and disadvantages of Aspen wood cloning:
    ads: supported structure
    dis: a genetic illness could affect all organisms, all are male so cannot reproduce with a female [6]

b) Plant cells continue to have the ability to differentiate (become other cells) as the plant ages, whereas animal cells lose this ability [1]

c) ads: more accurate
    dis: requires killing the organism, wet mass fluctuates is an alternative [2]

Total: 9

12. a) the amount of oxygen needed to oxidise the amount of lactic acid which has built up [1]

b) The amount of oxygen which is needed will be the same as the amount taken in - the oxygen taken in is needed to replace the oxygen debt [1]

c) Lactic acid. It steeply increases during exercise because of anaerobic respiration and then gradually decreases after when it's broken down by the liver, until none is left. [2]

13. a) The number x 3 because there are 3 bases coded for 1 amino acid [1]

b) The amino acids are different because the genes coding for these proteins each have a different order of bases [1]

c) The DNA unzips, allowing free nucleotides to attach to each strand and form 2 new DNA molecules. A-T and C-G. [3]

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much!!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks what a great scheme! Only thing is the drug trial wasn't blind as in that case the test subjects aren't told what they're getting.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    What do you think the grade boundary will be to get an A*?
    (Original post by Naomi265)
    Please comment if you think these are wrong/you know some questions I missed etc.

b) cornea, lens [2]

c) They each receive different alleles from the parents so their phenotypes are different from having different recessive/dominant alleles [possibly 2]

d) The 2 eyes see images which overlap and the brain compares the two to judge distance - seeing how similar/different the images are [2]

2. a) auxins [1]

b) Charlotte - the roots are growing towards gravity so are positvely geotrophic [2]

3. a) 33g [1]

a) f f (mother) F f (father) = 50% [2]

b) f f (mother) F f (father) = 50% [2]

b) 6 mark - describe the graph and explain why a blind trial is used eg reduces psychological effects, fairer test, accurately see if the drug has any effect [6]

5. a) The tigers have a lack of habitats so fewer reliable food sources, possible mating partners etc. [3]

b) As the numbers of predator increase, the numbers of prey decrease. There is cyclical fluctuation - the predators and prey have similar graphs but a time difference. [2]

6. a) Phylum, Order, Genus [3]

b) They evolve with different gene pools and eventually their DNA becomes so different they are considered different species [2]

7. a) they compete with other organisms eg. bees for the nectar [1]

b) Their habitat and role in that habitat - they both play the same role of feeding on the nectar in their habitat [1]

c) They have evolved to feed from oak trees instead of bushes so have different mouth parts to allow them to do this [1]

8. a) 1940-1980 [1]

b)

c) The gradient of the line - there will probably be a range for this as the graph was a little ambiguous so 0.5-0.7/80 = 0.00625-0.00875 [2]

d) With a hugely increasing population, it will become harder to think about the future when developing because there will be more people now to consider or something like that [2]

Total:

9. The controversial 6 mark - 2 or 5%? (I put 2). The energy is lost by egestion, excretion and respiration. There is not enough energy left for another trophic level because the efficiency is so low - most of the energy at each stage is used for things other than growth. [6]

10. a) D because it has a thicker wall to allow for higher pressure blood to travel to the body and is the mirror image of a normal heart [2]

b) I'm not sure [how is the transplant surgery different]- I put the vessels eg. vena cava would be on the opposite side to normal [2]

c) 6300 [1]

d) ad: the doctors need to know if someone has it to carry out treatments, quite a few people are affected by it,

dis: not that many people are affected by it, could be expensive, could cause harm to the foetus, parents may disagree [2]

ads: every organism is genetically identical so know characteristics, supported structure
    dis: a genetic illness could affect all organisms, all are male so cannot reproduce with a female [6]

b)

dis: requires killing the organism [2]

Total:

12. a) the amount of oxygen needed to oxidise the amount of lactic acid which has built up [1]

b) The amount of oxygen which is needed will be the same as the amount taken in - the oxygen taken in is needed to replace the oxygen debt [1]

c) Lactic acid. It steeply increases during exercise because of anaerobic respiration and then gradually decreases after when it's broken down by the liver, until none is left. [2]

b)

c) The DNA unzips, allowing free nucleotides to attach to each strand and form 2 new DNA molecules. A-T and C-G. [2]

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    I think you missed out some questions on sustainable development at the end and why it would be difficult to carry it out with such a big population

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onenation)
    Thanks what a great scheme! Only thing is the drug trial wasn't blind as in that case the test subjects aren't told what they're getting.
    Okay, will update

ReputationRep:
    The last question was worth 3 marks not 2 x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AA11AAA)
    What do you think the grade boundary will be to get an A*?
    I have no idea tbh, some people I have talked to found the paper hard and some really easy. It's normally around 50-55 so probably somewhere around there.

ReputationRep:

b) cornea, lens [2]

2. a) auxins [1]

3. a) 33g [1]

b) 6 mark - describe the graph and explain why a placebo is used eg reduces psychological effects, fairer test, accurately see if the drug has any effect [6]

8. a) 1940-1980 [1]

b)

Total:

c) 6300 [1]

ads: every organism is genetically identical so know characteristics, supported structure

b)

Total:

b)

c) The DNA unzips, allowing free nucleotides to attach to each strand and form 2 new DNA molecules. A-T and C-G. [3]

thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for this. Relieved me tbh

ReputationRep:

b) cornea, lens [2]

2. a) auxins [1]

3. a) 33g [1]

8. a) 1940-1980 [1]

b)

Total:

c) 6300 [1]

b)

Total:

b)

11b: Why is it easier to clone plants than animals
    A: Because plants can reproduce asexually?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OllieBiggs)
    I put because plant cells retain the ability to differentiate ? And I don't think it was question 11 it was much earlier on ?

ReputationRep:
    I put because plants can keep the ability for their cells to differentiate whereas animals lose it quite early on??

ReputationRep:
    Yess, thank you. However I think it's to do with it being more ethical and raising fewer moral questions?

ReputationRep:
    I think I wrote something like plants retain the ability to differentiate, whereas animals lose this at a young age.

ReputationRep:
    Would you still get the full marks if you say that the plant can differentiate
    (Original post by GCShElpme)
    I think I wrote something like plants retain the ability to differentiate, whereas animals lose this at a young age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCShElpme)
    Oh fair enough

ReputationRep:
    how many marks was 11b?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AA11AAA)
    Would you still get the full marks if you say that the plant can differentiate
    I think you'd have to specify that animal cells lose this in order to get full marks- but you might get one!

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.