Turn on thread page Beta

Please help - What do i say to my friend who has just been admitted watch

Announcements

Hiya,

well long story short I have a friend called "A" and well she has been diagnosed with anorexia for 2 years now. were not best friends but we used to be close.
    Friendship started Augsut 2015 (at this point she was doing so well in recovery) when she knew i was struggling with my thoughts etc. she supported me a lot, especially with my mental health when i needed it. This happened right up until christmas.
    After christmas we became very distant and that is when she started to go down hill again. We spoke occasional and the first time she was really ill i sent her a get well soon card. Since then most times i see a post on social media about her health I 9 times out of 10 I would message her saying i was proud and that she got this! - but i have realised most of the times i have spoken to her in the last few weeks have been to tell her to keep going!
    We really started speaking more recently (where she said we need to have a proper catch up soon!)
    Well today i just saw that she is being admitted to a small hospital where she will spend nights and most of the day and well I want to message her but i don't know what to say - I have never had anorexia. It has got to the point she has passed out 5 times in 3 days and broke a few bones

I have told her that i will support her nearly every time should i message her again? - i don't want to annoy her
    What would you say to a friend in this situation?

Thank you! x
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hiya,

well long story short I have a friend called "A" and well she has been diagnosed with anorexia for 2 years now. were not best friends but we used to be close.
    Friendship started Augsut 2015 (at this point she was doing so well in recovery) when she knew i was struggling with my thoughts etc. she supported me a lot, especially with my mental health when i needed it. This happened right up until christmas.
    After christmas we became very distant and that is when she started to go down hill again. We spoke occasional and the first time she was really ill i sent her a get well soon card. Since then most times i see a post on social media about her health I 9 times out of 10 I would message her saying i was proud and that she got this! - but i have realised most of the times i have spoken to her in the last few weeks have been to tell her to keep going!
    We really started speaking more recently (where she said we need to have a proper catch up soon!)
    Well today i just saw that she is being admitted to a small hospital where she will spend nights and most of the day and well I want to message her but i don't know what to say - I have never had anorexia. It has got to the point she has passed out 5 times in 3 days and broke a few bones

I have told her that i will support her nearly every time should i message her again? - i don't want to annoy her
    What would you say to a friend in this situation?

Thank you! x
    As long as she knows you are happy to support her just try to keep it normal unless she needs direct support at that time. Just talk about whatever stuff you usually would and don't talk about her condition constantly. You will help her to feel more normal but also be somebody she can turn to if she needs it.
    If she is in a hospital it will be very stressful for her so she is likely to be a little off compared to usual, but don't worry too much because the staff there will take care of her.
    You could even ask if she would like you to visit in a little while.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 25, 2016
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.