Do Imperial and UCL accept retakes for Chemical engineering? Watch

dont-have-a-name
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi. If I was to complete my A levels in 3 years by next year, how would those respective universities view my application. If anyone has an idea please let me know. Thanks
claireestelle
  • Volunteer Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by dont-have-a-name)
Hi. If I was to complete my A levels in 3 years by next year, how would those respective universities view my application. If anyone has an idea please let me know. Thanks
I believe imperial doesnt look well on resit years from what i can tell but couldnt find anything on ucl, drop both of their admissions an email to be sure though.
anika98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i emailed imperial only a few days ago and heres how the conversation went:

Me:
I've had a look at the chemical engineering department and the requirements are average A*A*A to be accepted. I was wondering whether you would accept students who are taking a gap year and in their gap year they resit a few modules in a subject. For example if i get an A for maths this year I might consider retaking 1 or 2 modules like C3 or S1 or other so I can boost my UMS and get my grade in maths to an A*. Would you still accept this?

Admissions team:
Thank you for your email and having an interest into our course.
We do accept students who have taken a gap year, but they must meet the minimum requirements. A*A*A* or A*A*AA is the typical offer we have been giving for 2015 and 2016 entry. We haven’t been giving any offers for A*A*A for the last couple of years. A* in Maths is essential too.

Me:
Does that mean you will accept students who only retake modules? So I can reapply but with predicted grades in my subjects which i am retaking modules for? Say for example I get an A*, A and B this year but i plan to retake modules in my subject which i got a B in to try get an A*. Is this still accepted, if so when doing my application form what grades would i write? My A Level grades or the predicted ones after retaking? I'm asking as I didnt do well in 1 or 2 modules of maths this year and I might end up with an A but if i retake these modules, I could potentially get an A* but I just want to know if I'll be accepted even though i've resited some modules?

Admissions team:
I would put your predicated retake grades, if you put the grade you have taken and are below minimum requirement then you application will be rejected due to that reason.
You must have A*A*A as a minimum requirement for your application to be considered.
TheEinsteined
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi
I kinda have the same problem for Chem and bio But i would be finishing my A level maths and FM by the end of this year. (Within 2 years excluding Chem bio and physics so they would be done in 3 years).
I was wondering what ur current situation is.
quasa
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dunno about pre-degree but I know Imperial is lenient for resits during the degree (ie repeating years). Or they were 10 years ago anyways, not sure about now tbh

Spoiler:
Show

I have a mate who got a Pass / 2:2 chemeng degree from imperial but they had to repeat their 2nd and 3rd years - too much booze
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (42)
24%
The paper was reasonable (77)
44%
Not feeling great about that exam (30)
17.14%
It was TERRIBLE (26)
14.86%

Watched Threads