The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M2 - 17th June 2016 - Official Thread

Edexcel M2 - 17th June 2016 - Official Thread
I hope you find this very useful as a directory for resources and a help desk for any questions about M2 homework, the exam and last minute tips! There are some extremely able people on here, who will be very happy to help - use this to your advantage!

Exam Date
Friday 17th June 2016 pm - 90mins

Exam Info/Guidance
M2 is a step up from M1 - although some of the topics are the same, it is more complicated and it's easy to make small mistakes that can cost you marks that you may not be able to afford to lose.
The topics are listed as follows:
Kinematics
Centres of Mass
Work, Energy and Power
Collisions
Statics of rigid bodies

Resources
Exam solutions videos for M2
Edexcel A-level Maths section
Various M2 resources
MyMaths
MrBartonMaths Applied Module stuff
MadAsMaths M2 Booklets

Past Papers/Practice Papers
Edexcel M2 Past Papers
OCR M2 Past Papers
OCR MEI M2 Past Papers
M2 Solomon Papers
Bronze/Silver/Gold Practice Papers (Bronze = easy, Silver = intermediate, Gold = hard)
Chapter Practice Questions for M2
Try an International A-level Past Paper

Hopefully this thread has enough resources to help you gain top marks, and enough questions to last a lifetime. If you ever (unlikely) or think you will run out of questions, buy some really old textbooks off Amazon for 1p and you will hopefully never run out of questions.

Good Luck!

creds to @jamestg for the format
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks for making this, I hope it gets more active closer to the exam because this is my only way out of a C grade in mechanics! xD Its terrible!
Reply 2
Original post by Inges
Thanks for making this, I hope it gets more active closer to the exam because this is my only way out of a C grade in mechanics! xD Its terrible!

No problem, share it around other maths forums and hopefully we'll be able to get it going :smile: i know how you feel though, the mechanics modules are the worst ones for me!
Reply 3
Original post by maddywald
No problem, share it around other maths forums and hopefully we'll be able to get it going :smile: i know how you feel though, the mechanics modules are the worst ones for me!

Sure & yeah me too I got D for M1 :/ eek!
Reply 4
Original post by Inges
Sure & yeah me too I got D for M1 :/ eek!

We can do it tho, i believe in us :biggrin:
Reply 5
I believe!
Reply 6
I have a question regarding work done. Sometimes they use the total resistance force x distance to calculate work done but other times they use forward force x distance to calculate work done. How do u know which one to use. E.g. for question 5 june 2013 they used resistance force x distance
Anyone know why there is a sin65 used in Ex.5B Q2c on page 137 of the Heinemann textbook?
Reply 8
Can all questions be solved using moments and resolving up/down ? Or is it necessary to sometimes use triangle of forces?
gonna fail m2
Reply 10
Would my solution to this question get full marks? I got the correct answer but I took moments about a different point that eliminates the need for an additional step but it's not in the mark scheme.^47D2CBDB327667A3889B62A2CF25B7ED16DF7F8D7725F2B9BD^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Find the momentum after impulse and divide by m giving you12i+8j. And you should know the rest.
(edited 7 years ago)
IMG_20160603_222834.jpg

There is a better way to look at it via triangles where you can use the cosine rule. Much better to do it this way so you understand what's going on.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can anyone help with part b? M2 capture 1.JPG
Original post by Alby1234
Can anyone help with part b? M2 capture 1.JPG

what paper is that from
i think u have to find the angle the impulse makes with an axis and the angle the velocity afterwards makes with the same axis and find the difference between them
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by youreanutter
what paper is that from
i think u have to find the angle the impulse makes with an axis and the angle the velocity afterwards makes with the same axis and find the difference between them

I believe its from january 2014 IAL, the mark scheme is very confusing
M2 capture 2.JPGAnother question, surely when the particle is moving perpendicular to its original motion, and its horizontal speed is the same, its vertical component is just (-)original vertical component? In this case this would be -20, but in the mark scheme they have -11.25. Any idea why?
Original post by Alby1234
M2 capture 2.JPGAnother question, surely when the particle is moving perpendicular to its original motion, and its horizontal speed is the same, its vertical component is just (-)original vertical component? In this case this would be -20, but in the mark scheme they have -11.25. Any idea why?

It won't be perpendicular then. Draw yourself a path that is very steep at the beginning (not approx 45 degrees) and you'll realise this.
Original post by tiny hobbit
It won't be perpendicular then. Draw yourself a path that is very steep at the beginning (not approx 45 degrees) and you'll realise this.

But on the question it specifies that it is perpendicular?

Quick Reply