The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M2 - 17th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Datta10
Is the work energy principle final energy = initial energy +or- wprk done againt friction? And if so then do you plus when energy increases amd minus when decreases?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's exactly it x
Original post by boredom07
Good luck everyone. Just to double check - is it an afternoon exam?

Yes x good luck to you too!
Original post by khaleesi98
Yeah that's exactly it x

Thank you :-)
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Datta10
Is the work energy principle final energy = initial energy +or- wprk done againt friction? And if so then do you plus when energy increases amd minus when decreases?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think about it like this: you have a final energy and an initial energy, but in these questions the total energy remains constant (obviously unless there's an impulse). So picture the particle at the start with its energy, and what it does to get into the final position.

So if a particle is down a rough slope and is going up the slope, it has an initial kinetic energy, and at the end it has done work against friction and against gravity, and if it's still moving will also have a KE. So it would look like this:

initial ke = final ke + work done against gravity (gpe) + work done against friction
Original post by Themathgeek
Hardest m2 paper?

Last one before the exam? Anyone?

The IAL papers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 185
In this formula/equation "Initial KE + Initial PE + Energy Created - Energy lost = final KE + Final PE" what is PE? Is it mgh? What would Initial and Final PE be then?
Original post by Nirm
In this formula/equation "Initial KE + Initial PE + Energy Created - Energy lost = final KE + Final PE" what is PE? Is it mgh? What would Initial and Final PE be then?

Yes PE would be GPE (gravitational potential energy) which is equal to mgh
Could anyone show me how to do this rhombus question from Jan 2015 IAL?
The model answers on Physics and maths tutor are very brief so any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I have managed to answer it now, so disregard :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Music With Rocks
Could anyone show me how to do this rhombus question from Jan 2015 IAL?
The model answers on Physics and maths tutor are very brief so any help would be appreciated.

How do you do it please?

EDIT: I have managed to answer it now, so disregard :smile:

How do you do it please?
Thanks in advance !!:wink:..
Original post by Sainsbizz
How do you do it please?
Thanks in advance !!:wink:..

IMG_20160617_093224.jpg
Here you go, hopefully it is clear enough
Original post by Themathgeek
Hardest m2 paper?

Last one before the exam? Anyone?

Gold 3 and 4; 4 is the harder one

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/m2-edexcel-bronze-silver-gold/
I'm having trouble with b and c. I'm not sure if I've done the right thing for b
1466154706523.jpg
1466154715982.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 192
Original post by pineneedles
I'm having trouble with b and c. I'm not sure if I've done the right thing for b
1466154706523.jpg
1466154715982.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got the same
Reply 193
dd.PNGGuys, just a quick question. In the image attached can you just please tell me in which way the reaction force R is acting on the rod?
Original post by Reda2
dd.PNGGuys, just a quick question. In the image attached can you just please tell me in which way the reaction force R is acting on the rod?

To my understanding, I thought you wouldn't know which direction (you would have to split into horizontal and vertical components).
Reply 195
Original post by Reda2

you can normally split the reaction in 2 perpendicular components
Reply 196
Original post by CaiusMartius
To my understanding, I thought you wouldn't know which direction (you would have to split into horizontal and vertical components).

Can you please give me a visual example?
Im referring to this question, which way is Y? (attached)nnn.PNG
Reply 197
Original post by Reda2
Can you please give me a visual example?
Im referring to this question, which way is Y? (attached)nnn.PNG

Y is vertical at the wall.
To solve.
Take moments at the wall and resolve vertical forces.
Sub one answer into the other to get their solution
Just a quick question, not very significant and not much time for people to reply anyway but;
When you have an impulse expressed in vector form i.e. I = m/2(8i+5j) and you want to find the magnitude, is it correct to mod the bracket then halve, or halve the bracket then mod as I have seen it done both ways - mod then half in M2 Solomon F q1 and half then mod in a Madas Maths booklet on impulse - depending on which way you do it, you get a different answer so I was hoping someone might have an idea thanks
guys fuk yah my exams r over
da paper somewat easy except fr da last question which made da whole paper *****y somehw i gt d=0.3
saitama over n out
ONEEEEEEE PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNCHH!!!😁😁😁😁
always wanted to do dis😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending