Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are my grades good enough to get an interview from Cambridge for Electronic & electric engineering?
    GCSEs
    Maths A
    Additional Science A
    core science B
    Spanish A*
    French A*
    History B
    ICT B
    English Language (before remark B) C
    English Literature B

(dunno If I have to state all my grades but here's the next ones, if I don't have to I won't state these next ones of gcse)
    Geography C
    RE C
    -As levels (predictions)
    -Physics OCR- A (dunno if you get UMS if you do about 95%)
    -Maths OCR MEI - c1 68/72 90 UMS
    Core 2 (haven't done it yet but suppose) 100 ums
    mechanic1 (haven't done it yet but suppose) 100 ums
    overall - A 96 UMS
    -Further Maths OCR MEI (self taught)
    further pure 1 - B 71 ums
    Mechanics 2 - B 71-73 ums
    the next one again, I don't know whether we have to state all our grades, I will resit it (will this affect my application?) if I got less than a B and not state it if less than a B
    mechanics 3 I lost 34 out of 72 mark which is usually a D but this paper was massively hard, so I reckon a B
    -Spanish 100 ums A
    -Psychology A 83 UMS
    -Biology
    First exam tomorrow
    A 90%

Extra things:
    DELF (French Language Studies Diploma) B1

It is to mention that my native language is Spanish and I'm of Peruvian/Spanish nationality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemari1)
    Are my grades good enough to get an interview from Cambridge for Electronic & atomic engineering?
    GCSEs
    Maths A
    Additional Science A
    core science B
    Spanish A*
    French A*
    History B
    ICT B
    English Language (before remark B) C
    English Literature B

(dunno If I have to state all my grades but here's the next ones, if I don't have to I won't state these next ones of gcse)
    Geography C
    RE C
    -As levels (predictions)
    -Physics OCR- A (dunno if you get UMS if you do about 95%)
    -Maths OCR MEI - c1 68/72 90 UMS
    Core 2 (haven't done it yet but suppose) 100 ums
    mechanic1 (haven't done it yet but suppose) 100 ums
    overall - A 96 UMS
    -Further Maths OCR MEI (self taught)
    further pure 1 - B 71 ums
    Mechanics 2 - B 71-73 ums
    the next one again, I don't know whether we have to state all our grades, I will resit it (will this affect my application?) if I got less than a B and not state it if less than a B
    mechanics 3 I lost 34 out of 72 mark which is usually a D but this paper was massively hard, so I reckon a B
    -Spanish 100 ums A
    -Psychology A 83 UMS
    -Biology
    First exam tomorrow
    A 90%

Extra things:
    DELF (French Language Studies Diploma) B1

It is to mention that my native language is Spanish and I'm of Peruvian/Spanish nationality
    Your GCSE's aren't great, but they wouldn't rule you out alone. I think the main problem with your grades is your poor grades in Further Maths (which you do have to declare). It's good that you've self-taught it, but even so I think low B's in FP1 and M2 make it very unlikely that you will get an interview or offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    Your GCSE's aren't great, but they wouldn't rule you out alone. I think the main problem with your grades is your poor grades in Further Maths (which you do have to declare). It's good that you've self-taught it, but even so I think low B's in FP1 and M2 make it very unlikely that you will get an interview or offer.
    Is it a legal requirement to declare them? what can I do about them?

ReputationRep:
    I believe it is a legal requirement to declare all the modules you've taken, both on UCAS and I assume on the Cambridge SAQ also. I think your best chance is applying after you have finished your A-levels, if you achieve the standard offer of A*A*A.

ReputationRep:
    I believe it is a legal requirement to declare all the modules you've taken, both on UCAS and I assume on the Cambridge SAQ also. I think your best chance is applying after you have finished your A-levels, if you achieve the standard offer of A*A*A.
    thank you but I think if I did that it would take another year, btw will spanish count towards my application? I'm doing that , biology physics maths and probably further maths(at A2) if not just resit the modules of further I've done, do you know of another similar qualification (to the further maths modules) I could get between now and october?

ReputationRep:
    thank you but I think if I did that it would take another year, btw will spanish count towards my application? I'm doing that , biology physics maths and probably further maths(at A2) if not just resit the modules of further I've done, do you know of another similar qualification (to the further maths modules) I could get between now and october?
    Yes, you would have to take a gap year. I don't think Cambridge will care about A-level Spanish if you are a native speaker. I don't know of any useful qualifications you can do between now and the time you apply.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you would have to take a gap year. I don't think Cambridge will care about A-level Spanish if you are a native speaker. I don't know of any useful qualifications you can do between now and the time you apply.
    at school I got told universities do(hence why I'm doing it) ta for your help

ReputationRep:
    at school I got told universities do(hence why I'm doing it) ta for your help
    No problem. Yes, some universities might, but Cambridge won't. Even if you weren't a native speaker, they would place much more of an emphasis on your relevant subjects of Maths, Further Maths and Physics.

ReputationRep:
    No problem. Yes, some universities might, but Cambridge won't. Even if you weren't a native speaker, they would place much more of an emphasis on your relevant subjects of Maths, Further Maths and Physics.
    I would assume so but it's stated by some colleges in this academic preferences table the preference for a language subject at AS
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Your FM will definitely be a problem. And must be declared. All qualifications must be included on UCAS.

I would assume so but it's stated by some colleges in this academic preferences table the preference for a language subject at AS
    Not really. It just means if you have a contrasting subject which ones they prefer. It doesn't mean you have to have one at all.

http://www.admissions.eng.cam.ac.uk/guide/requirements
    "Contrasting AS Levels
    Please note that none of the preferences expressed here are strong. You should not be deterred from applying to a given College because you do not have an AS Level in the appropriate subject. No College will discriminate against an applicant because they have chosen not to study a contrasting subject."

Also an MML in a native language may not meet that criteria anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Your FM will definitely be a problem. And must be declared. All qualifications must be included on UCAS.

Not really. It just means if you have a contrasting subject which ones they prefer. It doesn't mean you have to have one at all.

Also an MML in a native language may not meet that criteria anyway.
    thank you, do you know of any qualifications I can get between now and the 15th of october relating to that? it can be anything really as long as it's an equivalent, thank you
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    thank you, do you know of any qualifications I can get between now and the 15th of october relating to that? it can be anything really as long as it's an equivalent, thank you
    Relating to what? Offsetting a poor FM? Maybe doing STEP I would be something - but you've left it too late. Deadline was 20th May...

And see my edit above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Relating to what? Offsetting a poor FM? Maybe doing STEP I would be something - but you've left it too late. Deadline was 20th May...

And see my edit above.
    offsetting a poor FM, anything else maybe, which may relate, international exams? thank you once again
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    offsetting a poor FM, anything else maybe, which may relate, international exams? thank you once again
    dunno

but apply anyway and see what happens... you've nothing to lose!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.