Chi-Squared Test? Watch

mughushed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey, can anyone help to explain the Chi-square test? I'm stuck on how you're meant to work out the 'expected' values. Thank you!
xxlilyjanexx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
the expected value is worked out by row total multiplied by column total, the divided by the grand total. You do this for each value.
username2488725
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Here's an explanation I wrote out for somebody earlier - Hopefully it helps:

The Chi-squared test is used when data is categoric and it is used to calculate the difference between the OBSERVED and EXPECTED details. It relates the number of individuals in particular categories and the calculation creates something called a "chi squared" value. The HIGHER the "chi squared" value calculated, the GREATER the difference between the observed and the expected results. Again, degrees of freedom can be calculated here (n-1) with n being the number of categories. Again, there will be a reference table and IF THE CHI SQUARED VALUE IS GREATER THAN THE CRITICAL VALUE then you REJECT the null hypothesis which shows that the probability that the results are due to chance is 5% or less AND THEREFORE this means THERE IS A CORRELATION BETWEEN THE DATA.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (54)
14.1%
The paper was reasonable (191)
49.87%
Not feeling great about that exam... (97)
25.33%
It was TERRIBLE (41)
10.7%

Watched Threads