What is the best alternative to petrol/diesel in your opinion? Poll Watch

Poll: What is the best alternative fuel to petrol/diesel?
Electricity (6)
46.15%
Hydrogen (7)
53.85%
Vegatable/Cooking Oil (0)
0%
Wind (0)
0%
Solar Energy (0)
0%
Other (0)
0%
username2387497
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey all!
I do a lot or thinking about the future of motoring and am intrigued to know what you think is the best alternative power for vehicles once the oil has run out.
I personally believe that Hydrogen is the best solution. Its cheap, doesnt harm the enviroment when burned (the only product is water, which could even be salvaged and used), its extremely efficient and its cheap.
The only issue is the storage of Hydrogen is tricky and mosg people think its dangerous. But ill give you a fact: Petrol cars are more likely to catch fire/explode in a crash!

But thats only my opinion, whats yours and why?
Amellia123

Forgot to add BioFuel, whoops!
epoddoulc
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Biofuel
okey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Post this in GCSE chemistry instead
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wind power
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by okey)
Post this in GCSE chemistry instead
Wut?

Power = Energy / Time

Physics :qed:
Amellia123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by FireFreezer77)
Hey all!
I do a lot or thinking about the future of motoring and am intrigued to know what you think is the best alternative power for vehicles once the oil has run out.
I personally believe that Hydrogen is the best solution. Its cheap, doesnt harm the enviroment when burned (the only product is water, which could even be salvaged and used), its extremely efficient and its cheap.
The only issue is the storage of Hydrogen is tricky and mosg people think its dangerous. But ill give you a fact: Petrol cars are more likely to catch fire/explode in a crash!

Amellia123

Hey! thanks for the tag!

Personally, I think the Hydrogen fuel is the way to go in this day and age, as we appear to be able to harness the most 'power' for cars from this (in terms of energy). Electric cars would be great if there was a way of producing an efficient battery that could last lets say, 100 miles (the best at the moment for 'reasonably priced' cars is around 30-40 miles I think)

Having said this, I know very little about the subject matter (only what I've read/studied at school). Still fancied contributing tho!
FXX
Badges: 18
Report 2 years ago
Hydrogen isn't cheap really. You need a lot of energy to transform it into something stable enough to be shipped in the back of a truck, and the storage options aren't cheap either.

Practically speaking it would be the most ideal option as it doesn't take a fortnight to fill up, but the technology isn't there yet. Battery tech is where the money is at the moment so this is where we'll see the improvements for now.
username2387497
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amellia123)
Hey! thanks for the tag!

Personally, I think the Hydrogen fuel is the way to go in this day and age, as we appear to be able to harness the most 'power' for cars from this (in terms of energy). Electric cars would be great if there was a way of producing an efficient battery that could last lets say, 100 miles (the best at the moment for 'reasonably priced' cars is around 30-40 miles I think)

Having said this, I know very little about the subject matter (only what I've read/studied at school). Still fancied contributing tho!
No worries! I thought you may be interested in this!

Yay you agree with me! Audi have made (or are going to make) a hydrogen powered car!
Yes i agree with whst youve said there! Its extremely efficient too! A car with a full tank of hydrogen can power a full streets electricity with no problems!!
Yes that would make them a lot better! Plus they need to be able to be charged a lot quicker too!
Well im not sure any of them are reasonable priced tbh. Theyre all really expensive! However, someone in my town owns a Tesla Model S!!! It looks so good!

Ah thats fair enough. Ive done research on the matter so thats where ive gotten my knowledge!
mcfatty
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey all!

Amellia123

everyone poops, use the energy from that, yea the atmosphere might smell a bit *****y but oh well
Amellia123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No worries! I thought you may be interested in this!

Yay you agree with me! Audi have made (or are going to make) a hydrogen powered car!
Yes i agree with whst youve said there! Its extremely efficient too! A car with a full tank of hydrogen can power a full streets electricity with no problems!!
Yes that would make them a lot better! Plus they need to be able to be charged a lot quicker too!
Well im not sure any of them are reasonable priced tbh. Theyre all really expensive! However, someone in my town owns a Tesla Model S!!! It looks so good!

Ah thats fair enough. Ive done research on the matter so thats where ive gotten my knowledge!
Haha yep! As part of my degree ill have to do a part on renewable fuel/energy sources so this is a good start for that!

Are they really? that would be fantastic! However, seeing as finite resources haven't 'run out' yet I think theyre still seen a novelty, which is why they are so expensive!! Could it really? Wow that's a lot of power!
I agree with that - they take for ages to charge, and then theres the issue of the fact that the power used to charge them come from power stations (so still net CO2 emissions etc).
I think the Nissan leaf was around 30 grand when it came out? Which tbh could buy a nice Audi :lol: Awesome!! I didn't know that Tesla did one - I shall have to google this

Ahhh I see - that's great! You've got me interested in it now haha
champ_mc99
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
Wut?

Power = Energy / Time

Physics :qed:
Apart from that, it's more chemistry.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by champ_mc99)
Apart from that, it's more chemistry.
Tell that to all the material physicist, solid state physicists, nuclear physicists, condensed matter physicists, physical chemists, and so on.

:hmmm:

How is electricity not physics? :facepalm:

You know, Maxwell and all that jazz.

username2387497
Rep:
?
Haha yep! As part of my degree ill have to do a part on renewable fuel/energy sources so this is a good start for that!

Are they really? that would be fantastic! However, seeing as finite resources haven't 'run out' yet I think theyre still seen a novelty, which is why they are so expensive!! Could it really? Wow that's a lot of power!
I agree with that - they take for ages to charge, and then theres the issue of the fact that the power used to charge them come from power stations (so still net CO2 emissions etc).
I think the Nissan leaf was around 30 grand when it came out? Which tbh could buy a nice Audi :lol: Awesome!! I didn't know that Tesla did one - I shall have to google this

Ahhh I see - that's great! You've got me interested in it now haha
Ah nice one!! That should be rather interesting then!! I guess this a start haha

Yup so ive heard anyway. It looks very Audi like haha! Yeah thats true. Plus there are only 9 hydrogen filling stations in the uk so its quite hard to own one too!
That sure is a lot of power! Well its according to James May so it must be true haha! :lol:
Do you remeber when they drove those two electric cars on Top Gear? That was funny.
Yeah they take like 13 hours to charge up! Thats ridiculous!!
Yeah thats another issue. However they do regenerate some energy (the cars) under braking. The heat energy is used to charge up the batteries and therefore gives more life from them!
Yeah it was around 30k. Haha you sure could! You could actually buy a brand new A5 and have some spare change!
Tesla only make electric cars! Theyve got 4 models now (i think, although one of them is a few years old now).

Ah nice one! im glad ive got you interested in this!
Amellia123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ah nice one!! That should be rather interesting then!! I guess this a start haha

Yup so ive heard anyway. It looks very Audi like haha! Yeah thats true. Plus there are only 9 hydrogen filling stations in the uk so its quite hard to own one too!
That sure is a lot of power! Well its according to James May so it must be true haha! :lol:
Do you remeber when they drove those two electric cars on Top Gear? That was funny.
Yeah they take like 13 hours to charge up! Thats ridiculous!!
Yeah thats another issue. However they do regenerate some energy (the cars) under braking. The heat energy is used to charge up the batteries and therefore gives more life from them!
Yeah it was around 30k. Haha you sure could! You could actually buy a brand new A5 and have some spare change!
Tesla only make electric cars! Theyve got 4 models now (i think, although one of them is a few years old now).

Ah nice one! im glad ive got you interested in this!
Haha it had better look like an Audi - imagine if it looked like an Astra :rofl: Oh wow, no wonder there aren't many of them! I bet the fuelling stations are expensive to build also (I don't understand why sustainable energy is so much more expensive than finite - id have thought it would be vice-versa!)
Hahaha yeah I do! Nissan Leaf and a Mitsubishi? All I remember is it being blue - been ages since ive seen that one! 13 hours!? :eek: that's a long time - and takes a lot of power of do so!
Ahhh I see - that's rather clever actually, but is it enough to compensate?
Hahaha yeah £1 change perhaps?
Oh right do they? I'm so ashamed to have to admit that I didn't know that :getmecoat:

Of course! I'm up for any car debating matters!
username2387497
Rep:
?
Haha it had better look like an Audi - imagine if it looked like an Astra :rofl: Oh wow, no wonder there aren't many of them! I bet the fuelling stations are expensive to build also (I don't understand why sustainable energy is so much more expensive than finite - id have thought it would be vice-versa!)
Hahaha yeah I do! Nissan Leaf and a Mitsubishi? All I remember is it being blue - been ages since ive seen that one! 13 hours!? :eek: that's a long time - and takes a lot of power of do so!
Ahhh I see - that's rather clever actually, but is it enough to compensate?
Hahaha yeah £1 change perhaps?
Oh right do they? I'm so ashamed to have to admit that I didn't know that :getmecoat:

Of course! I'm up for any car debating matters!
Haha oh it does, dont you worry! Its called the H-Tron if you want to google it. It looks for like the Q3/Q5 more than anything tbh.
Haha that would be awful if it did!!
Exactly! You wouldnt be able to drive it anywhere! Yeah i bet they are! (well in this case, hydrogen storage is tricky and there isnt really a preffered solution currently).
That was brilliant! I believe the other one was a Peugeot. Omg did you hear that Nissan are gonna buy Mitsubishi?
Indeed it is! Its nowhere near enough to compensate but it helps!
Haha maybe but then you will have a nice Audi!!
They sure do! Aw dont worry about it! Ive done a fair amount of research on them so thats how i know

Yay! I love talking about cars (if you hadnt guessed already haha :lol: )
champ_mc99
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Tell that to all the material physicist, solid state physicists, nuclear physicists, condensed matter physicists, physical chemists, and so on.

:hmmm:

How is electricity not physics? :facepalm:

You know, Maxwell and all that jazz.

The amount of energy produced per fuel and how it is produced is chemistry. Obviously chemistry comes from physics. Lol.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The amount of energy produced per fuel and how it is produced is chemistry. Obviously chemistry comes from physics. Lol.
Only if you agree with the reductionist viewpoint. pre-history Hunter gatherers and farmers were doing proto-chemistry before they even new what an atom was.

Anyway. This thread is totally suitable in the physics section...
champ_mc99
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Only if you agree with the reductionist viewpoint. pre-history Hunter gatherers and farmers were doing proto-chemistry before they even new what an atom was.

Anyway. This thread is totally suitable in the physics section...
So your disagreeing with yourself? lol
username2387497
Rep:
?
This thread is both suitable in Chemistry and Physics really.
Id say Physics more though
ChaoticButterfly champ_mc99
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So your disagreeing with yourself? lol
How does chemistry come from physics when you don;t need physics to do chemistry?

Chemist can manage just fine without a theory of everything (as will all the solid state physicists etc).

The reductionist view is that science is built up from the small parts that then build together to make the big. The anti-reductionist view is that that doesn't have to be so or even fi it si it isn't helpful when trying to do science on larger objects such as the level chemists tend to operate at.

A grand unified theory of everything will not help develop or understand a room temperature superconductor.

This thread is both suitable in Chemistry and Physics really.Id say Physics more thoughChaoticButterfly champ_mc99
Agreed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (46)
24.08%
The paper was reasonable (84)
43.98%
Not feeling great about that exam (33)
17.28%
It was TERRIBLE (28)
14.66%

Watched Threads