The Student Room Group

A levels are way too easy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alevez2ez
I think it is just the sciences and math that got harder. Geography has been as easy as ever, perhaps even easier than previous years.

I am not sure for other social sciences but haven't heard a lot of people complain.

Yep psychology has been easy this year
im about to resit bio unit 1 in just over 2 hours
I did Geography, Math, Chemistry and Biology in AS.

Geography is a much easier subject compared to Math, Biology, Chemistry. Anyway... I was predicted 3 D's and an E (In bio) and my teachers expected me to fail completely.

I started studying 2 days before each exam and managed to get an A in all 4 of my subjects. This just goes to show that A levels are way too easy*.

Thing for me is that I used to revise before like daily and then I just used to forget the stuff when the exam time came and was too lazy to study it so I stopped studying all together and just studying when close to exams and I managed to get amazing results.

I am no genius student..and I am not exactly smart. (I got Us in my mock this year as well).. I just think that A levels should be more harder as years fly. (2016>2015- not the reverse) Especially for subjects like Biology, Chemistry & Math. These subjects are already at a very high prestige comparatively so it doesn't make sense to make them easier.

Thanks for reading guys.. I am sorry if I pissed anyone off or came off as a 'smartass'. Just sharing my thoughts.

Well this was a complete lie haha
Original post by oniisanitstoobig
Just slipped that in didn't ya

Gotta love a bit of egotism...

[Joking. But I did get an A :tongue:]
Original post by tavtavtav
What exactly are people talking about here? As an exampleyou can't really compare full A2 Further Maths with GCSE maths in terms of difficulty...

Does FM even got AS and A2? Last time I checked it got 2 papers and that's it. thats a full a -level. But i checked CIE board so yh..

And OP which exam board are you taking? Edexcel, CIE, AQA?
Reply 65

Geography is a much easier subject compared to Math, Biology, Chemistry. Anyway... I was predicted 3 D's and an E (In bio) and my teachers expected me to fail completely.

I started studying 2 days before each exam and managed to get an A in all 4 of my subjects. This just goes to show that A levels are way too easy*.

Thing for me is that I used to revise before like daily and then I just used to forget the stuff when the exam time came and was too lazy to study it so I stopped studying all together and just studying when close to exams and I managed to get amazing results.

I am no genius student..and I am not exactly smart. (I got Us in my mock this year as well).. I just think that A levels should be more harder as years fly. (2016>2015- not the reverse) Especially for subjects like Biology, Chemistry & Math. These subjects are already at a very high prestige comparatively so it doesn't make sense to make them easier.

Thanks for reading guys.. I am sorry if I pissed anyone off or came off as a 'smartass'. Just sharing my thoughts.

Were any of these new exam boards?
and based on the revision you have done I guess it seems possible 8 past papers before the exams in total in 2 days, how many hours did you actually spend?

The questions must have heavily been repeated or and fixed loopholes in understanding (I assume), though someone who Is predicted D in maths and jumps to A, how much extra time did you have in your maths exam I'm curious.
Reply 66
Original post by jtru
Were any of these new exam boards?
and based on the revision you have done I guess it seems possible 8 past papers before the exams in total in 2 days, how many hours did you actually spend?

The questions must have heavily been repeated or and fixed loopholes in understanding (I assume), though someone who Is predicted D in maths and jumps to A, how much extra time did you have in your maths exam I'm curious.

There is no new exam board.

My sciences were AQA, my math and geog were Edexcel. Combination of both to be honest. but that does not discredit my amazing understand of the subjects because you cannot get an A without good understanding.

I got no extra time. How do you get extra time? I assume some mental illness. If this is the case, this actually pisses me off. Mental illness have severity, there's absolutely no rule established on them and almost everyone gets huge amounts of extra time.

Anyway.. over the years of doing various past papers, I have come to the conclusion that past papers no longer actually help. The exam boards are making the papers much more tougher adding new stuff that can be achieved with improvisation or previously doing them from a book. Whats.the.****ing point
Reply 67
There is no new exam board.

My sciences were AQA, my math and geog were Edexcel. Combination of both to be honest. but that does not discredit my amazing understand of the subjects because you cannot get an A without good understanding.

I got no extra time. How do you get extra time? I assume some mental illness. If this is the case, this actually pisses me off. Mental illness have severity, there's absolutely no rule established on them and almost everyone gets huge amounts of extra time.

Anyway.. over the years of doing various past papers, I have come to the conclusion that past papers no longer actually help. The exam boards are making the papers much more tougher adding new stuff that can be achieved with improvisation or previously doing them from a book. Whats.the.****ing point

By extra time I meant spare time... after doing all the questions
Reply 68
Original post by jtru
By extra time I meant spare time... after doing all the questions

None in C1 which I was absolutely shocked by. That's when I realized that it is utter ******** to do previous past papers, I was getting almost full marks in those papers and was at the point of believing that Imma be getting a C in Math C1. So what I did for C2 was do few past papers and few book questions (the very hard ones)
Original post by JustANormalGuy
Does FM even got AS and A2? Last time I checked it got 2 papers and that's it. thats a full a -level. But i checked CIE board so yh..

And OP which exam board are you taking? Edexcel, CIE, AQA?

Well for OCR its 6 modules (on top of the 6 for regular maths)
Original post by tavtavtav
Well for OCR its 6 modules (on top of the 6 for regular maths)

Oh... for cie it's a pure maths paper and a statistics/mechanics paper both with 14 questions and 2h long.
Reply 71
Original post by JustANormalGuy
Oh... for cie it's a pure maths paper and a statistics/mechanics paper both with 14 questions and 2h long.

Which is the whole A level course?

for my first psychology paper I started revising at 11 pm the night before, went to bed at 3, got up at half seven, revised til 1240 and walked to school
Reply 73
Original post by chemari1
for my first psychology paper I started revising at 11 pm the night before, went to bed at 3, got up at half seven, revised til 1240 and walked to school

And you got an A?
And you got an A?
I think so, I will reassure it on results day
You're insane. Maybe lucky. But definitely insane. But hats off to you.
I don't usually discriminate with A levels but I don't think it gets easier than A level creative writing😂😂😂😂 in our college we have to do an extension so I did that.
The exam was literally 'describe your favourite holiday destination'
And 'write about the emotional problems and stress during transition from GCSE to A level'

In my coursework I got full marks and I didn't even try. My stories were like GCSE standard because I was more focused on my main a levels
And due to my coursework grade I only needed a D in this exam to get an A overall 🙄
Pretty sure I didn't get a D. Don't see how someone can go wrong on the questions I had to answer😂
Reply 78
Your year had it easy,the exams for your subjects was mostly based on recall.If you sat the current AS exams now, the difference between current AS exams and the older ones are massive...

You had it easy tbh

It just means you got potential in those subjects, try doing A-Level RE which will bore you to death.

Quick Reply

Latest