Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Men's rights advocates seem to be constantly demonized. Although I don't actually consider myself an MRA I think they have some valid points. There's a huge movement for women, why shouldn't there also be an advocacy group for men and their issues? Opinions?

ReputationRep:
    They're a mixed bag of individuals, I find.

Some have legitimate points and are trying to do good, others not so much. And let's not also forget there are many women MRAs.

But yes, they are demonized heavily, to the point where 'MRA' has become a pejorative insult. Most I've encountered don't hate women at all, however, despite what Salon and Buzzfeed have to say about them.

But I generally don't feel it's good to 'take sides' and focus too heavily on one sex all the time , because it's easy to develop tunnel vision and a bias/prejudice in the process (much like the feminists have).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginneon)
    Men's rights advocates seem to be constantly demonized. Although I don't actually consider myself an MRA I think they have some valid points. There's a huge movement for women, why shouldn't there also be an advocacy group for men and their issues? Opinions?
    There are advocacy groups for men. Movember, for example, is probably the most prominent men's health charity campaign group. There are also support and aid groups, such as 1in6, which deal specifically with male victims of rape and sexual assault. The Good Men Project, while it occasionally veers off, is generally a pretty good site for discussing how to build better images of men and boys, helping boys try to counter social expectations of masculinity, and so on.

MRAs, by contrast, do very little actual campaigning, and are primarily just a feminist-bashing movement at best (at worst they're just a downright misogynist - and often also racist - movement). Their priorities of "men's issues" are primarily ordered not by how much they effect men, but to what extent they can be utilised as anti-feminist buzz-phrases.

ReputationRep:
    petty counter-feminist movement

women came from a lower-base, and got equality, due to religious, social and economic pressure.

mra is *******s.

there is no bible saying women are inferior. there were no laws denying men the right to vote based on their gender alone. no bars on men being leaders by virtue of being men, or owning property for the same reason.

it's petty and pathetic, that's why..

ReputationRep:
    Sod the oiks who say advocating for mens rights is offensive/redundant etc. its no different than campaigning for womens rights or black rights or the rights of animals blah blah... anyone who doesnt think they deserve an equal footing is a hypocrit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    anyone who doesnt think they deserve an equal footing is a hypocrit.
    Summed up perfectly.😊

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by craymonDAX)
    petty counter-feminist movement

women came from a lower-base, and got equality, due to religious, social and economic pressure.

mra is *******s.

there is no bible saying women are inferior. there were no laws denying men the right to vote based on their gender alone. no bars on men being leaders by virtue of being men, or owning property for the same reason.

it's petty and pathetic, that's why..
    Head in the clouds

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.