The Student Room Group

RESIT Edexcel Biology Unit 1 - 26th May (6BI01)

Scroll to see replies

What did everyone say for the punnet square question ?
Reply 101
Original post by Aleksandrinaa
and what did you get for the % question based on vitamin c? :smile:

74.6% you?
Original post by ASTK98
Lmaoooo which planet are you on 😂😂😂 grade boundaries have never been that high and biology papers always seem easy once you're done with them. It will probably be around 60 for an A.

See my previous message about this being a combination of past papers- 66 is probably a slight exaggeration but it'll definitely be above 60.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nikeey_xo
What did everyone say for the punnet square question ?

50%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 104
Original post by splog23
See my previous message about this being a combination of past papers- 66 is probably a slight exaggeration but it'll definitely be above 60.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last year was so much more easier and the grade boundaries were quite low. I don't think it'll be above 60.
Original post by SohaXO
74.6% you?

I remember getting 76. something... I think 76.3.. do you remember how you worked it out?
Original post by SohaXO
Last year was so much more easier and the grade boundaries were quite low. I don't think it'll be above 60.

It's better to overestimate than underestimate- that is, if you're using this as a marker to see what you need for your other exams. Guessing the grade boundaries, and indeed working out what mark you got, is pointless if you're not using it to predict what you'll need.
Original post by Aleksandrinaa
I remember getting 76. something... I think 76.3.. do you remember how you worked it out?

(Bigger number - smaller number) / bigger number x 100
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by splog23

Posted from TSR Mobile

62 seems reasonable for that paper imo - although it depends on how everyone performed (which we don't find out until the day before results day lol)
Original post by Angus09
I wrote at high temperature channel proteins denature diffusion rate is faster more diffuses out of cells. What did you get for the one after about why there was more vitamin c lost when put into cold water and then boiling ?

Said bevause temperature in boiling is high, enzyme that oxidises vit c will be denatured so less oxidation of vit c so more to begin with when it goes into boiling
Hiya :smile: I'm an external candidate doing a distance learning fast track Biology (so all AS/ A levels in one go)... so I did this exam as my first go not a re-sit today, and I found it a headf**k haha. The inheritance question threw me off because 'dominant' was highlighted so tricked me into thinking it was something different than what I knew. So I completely waffled about crap. And got the punnett square wrong however hoping I'll at least pick up a mark for labelling the phenotype and parents, and maybe one in my waffle. Such a shame :frown: Just really hoping I picked up marks in other areas to make up for it. Hope everyone is happy with how it went. I don't really get how grade boundaries work but I'm aiming for a B in all exams, so what would that be does everyone reckon? about 55? or higher? sorry I'm clueless haha.
Original post by moonandstars
Hiya :smile: I'm an external candidate doing a distance learning fast track Biology (so all AS/ A levels in one go)... so I did this exam as my first go not a re-sit today, and I found it a headf**k haha. The inheritance question threw me off because 'dominant' was highlighted so tricked me into thinking it was something different than what I knew. So I completely waffled about crap. And got the punnett square wrong however hoping I'll at least pick up a mark for labelling the phenotype and parents, and maybe one in my waffle. Such a shame :frown: Just really hoping I picked up marks in other areas to make up for it. Hope everyone is happy with how it went. I don't really get how grade boundaries work but I'm aiming for a B in all exams, so what would that be does everyone reckon? about 55? or higher? sorry I'm clueless haha.

Don't worry, I think most people messed up that Dominant question-it was a nightmare :smile:.
In terms of grade boundaries, the boundaries tend to range between 4-6 marks from each other. So if an A on this is 62, a B will be around 56-58. Unfortunately we have no way of knowing what they'll be, most people think it'll be around the 60 mark for an A so a B could be in the 55 range.
Hope this helps, :smile:
PM me if you have any questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 112

Hi, i'm the same as you! fast track external candidate. I found the paper quite tough compared with the past papers i've been doing! I ran out of time and didn't get to question 8. I've totally flunked this paper so really need to pull it out of the bag for the next 3 and hope that my coursework mark is high. I need a C overall but was aiming for an A (after today's paper more realistic to get a B/C).
How about question on dietary advice? Anyone?
Original post by splog23
Don't worry, I think most people messed up that Dominant question-it was a nightmare :smile:.
In terms of grade boundaries, the boundaries tend to range between 4-6 marks from each other. So if an A on this is 62, a B will be around 56-58. Unfortunately we have no way of knowing what they'll be, most people think it'll be around the 60 mark for an A so a B could be in the 55 range.
Hope this helps, :smile:
PM me if you have any questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw thank you :smile: Thats really helpful! Yeah it really spun me out to be honest! Okay great thank you :smile: Ive seen a few people talk about a preliminary mark scheme, do edexcel actually release this or is this just done by teachers etc? sorry for all the questions. Best of luck!
Aw thank you :smile: Thats really helpful! Yeah it really spun me out to be honest! Okay great thank you :smile: Ive seen a few people talk about a preliminary mark scheme, do edexcel actually release this or is this just done by teachers etc? sorry for all the questions. Best of luck!

Done by teachers, sometimes students
Original post by mpwb
Hi, i'm the same as you! fast track external candidate. I found the paper quite tough compared with the past papers i've been doing! I ran out of time and didn't get to question 8. I've totally flunked this paper so really need to pull it out of the bag for the next 3 and hope that my coursework mark is high. I need a C overall but was aiming for an A (after today's paper more realistic to get a B/C).

Don't worry you're not the only one.. I personally found it difficult too.. and when I compare this year's exam to last year's, I think 2015 was even easier than this one but the grade boundaries were not as high as 60 so you never know what they could turn out to be :smile: don't stress!
Original post by mpwb

Aw hey! :smile: Nice to hear from someone else in the same boat I think I was the only external candidate in my centre today haha. Yeah I feel exactly the same, are you taking the course to get into university if you don't mind me asking? I have a conditional offer and need a B in Biology so stressful and hard to trust myself that I'm learning the right thing as its mostly self taught! Yeah same I wish we could know our coursework sooner. Will we only know about coursework on results day? Best of Luck :smile:
Original post by kosmooos

I think I waffled on about decreasing sat fat intakes and increasing unsat fat intake by relating it to the food they gave us in the table. E.g eat less butter as it increases cholesterol due to the saturated fat. I think I then talked about atherosclerosis briefly at the end :smile:
Original post by kosmooos

I did:
Difference between unsaturated and saturated facts and link it to cholesterol levels.
Talked about cholesterol levels on (mostly LDL) atherosclerosis and linked to CVD
Eat more foods with Palmitic acid and Oleic acid because more unsaturated fat and less cholesterol.
Eat less with bacon and butter because more saturated fat and more cholesterol.

At least that's what I think I wrote.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending