Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dylan Roof might get death penalty- Do you agree or disagree? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should Dylan roof get death penalty?
    Yes
    42.86%
    No
    57.14%

ReputationRep:
    I am usually against death penalties because it is an easy way out but I want to know what other people think. Should he suffer in prison or should he just die?

If you don't know he is, long story short, he killed a few people at Charleston shooting.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-shooting.html

ReputationRep:
    I totally against the death penalty.
    Period

The death penalty is brilliant

It saves the expense of keeping them in prison for life

Actually, perhaps he should instead be used for cheap, dangerous labour (breaking rocks sort of thing), then executed when he's too old?

Why do some people insist that dangerous criminals have the same human rights as the rest of us?

Besides, in the US, similar crimes often lead to the death penalty. For example, the executions of white and asian police (both because of their profession and race) by black criminals was almost always, AFAIK, punished by the death penalty. It'd be interesting to see if a white gets a similar punishment, although we have to bear in mind his victims were not police.

ReputationRep:
    He should suffer for the rest of his life, why have mercy on him?

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with the death penalty in any situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    The death penalty is brilliant

It saves the expense of keeping them in prison for life

Actually, perhaps he should instead be used for cheap, dangerous labour (breaking rocks sort of thing), then executed when he's too old?

Why do some people insist that dangerous criminals have the same human rights as the rest of us?
    The death penalty is a more costly procedure than life imprisonment, in USA that is.

(Original post by Kash24411)
    The death penalty is a more costly procedure than life imprisonment, in USA that is.
    Only because they do it relatively humanely

ReputationRep:
    He will get killed in prison anyways. He is a racist and people don't like racists.

ReputationRep:
    I'm against the death penalty on principle - IMO you can't kill someone and call it justice if you're doing it, but then call it murder and have the killer executed if it's someone else doing it. A lot of murderers have reasons (twisted reasons that only make any sense to them, but they considered it a reason all the same), and saying "Yes, but their reason for killing someone was wrong. Our reason for killing someone is right, because we're the ones who make the rules" is just... iffy, to me. I'm also very conscious of the number of people in positions of power in our government and judicial system that I really don't trust.

HOWEVER, that being said, if Dylan Roof gets away with a non-life sentence or a life sentence with parole for being a mass murderer (and arguably a terrorist, depending on your definition), when people receive death sentences for much less, I would be more than a little suspicious of the motivations and sympathies of the judge/jury.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    yes, so the victims' families can get some sort of closure.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.