Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Writing outside of the box??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I assumed that the "do not write here" areas on papers were because this part wasn't scanned and wouldn't get marked. So I occasionally make little notes in it to use in my answers, I don't actually write my answer in there or anything. But apparently writing there means the whole exam paper is ungraded????? I have had 10 exams so far and I've done this in at least 3 of them!! Will I get a U just for that? What can I do to stop this from happening?? Can my school contact the exam board or something???

And please don't tell me how dumb I am I know, I'm sat here crying and I've just messed up my life so please help. Please.

ReputationRep:
    No, you're fine. Writing outside the box doesn't have any real consequences. If they think you've written an answer outside the box they might physically mark your papers instead of scanning them but that's all. Don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clararose)
    I assumed that the "do not write here" areas on papers were because this part wasn't scanned and wouldn't get marked. So I occasionally make little notes in it to use in my answers, I don't actually write my answer in there or anything. But apparently writing there means the whole exam paper is ungraded????? I have had 10 exams so far and I've done this in at least 3 of them!! Will I get a U just for that? What can I do to stop this from happening?? Can my school contact the exam board or something???

And please don't tell me how dumb I am I know, I'm sat here crying and I've just messed up my life so please help. Please.
    It is about scanning. Do not worry at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clararose)

Its fine. I assume that every exam board uses a similar system to edexcel, as they probably all get them from the same company. In short, every paper is scanned in and sent electronically to markers. If the marker can see that your answer extends off the scan, or you used extra paper, it is marked as an exception which means that your physical script is sent to a marker instead. You're not going to be given no mark just for making small notes outside the box, that sort of stuff happens all the time and they genuinely arent there to screw you over. Theres more info on the process in this https://youtu.be/2_ruJ5i8ZJ4

ReputationRep:
    I thought you were asking for literary advice.

It's fine, as the others have said.

It's just the papers are marked electronically these days, and the examiners only get the answer in which to write. Any writing outside the metaphorical box / lines won't be marked only with small leeway, unless it was physically marked like in a chemistry or biology practical exam.

If you still feel unsure, ask a teacher next time you see one, or ask an invigilator.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.