Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  500.3 KB

So firstly sorry for the horizontalness of the pic and the messy handwriting...

Am I doing the right thing? And what should I do with those two values of W?

I can't access the answers for this so I'm just wondering if I am doing it right?

Zacken

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  500.3 KB

So firstly sorry for the horizontalness of the pic and the messy handwriting...

Am I doing the right thing? And what should I do with those two values of W?

I can't access the answers for this so I'm just wondering if I am doing it right?

Zacken
    So basically you have x_{\text{min}} = 5.425 and x_{\text{max}} = 5.435 (and similar for y min and max).

Then to get the biggest value of w, you want biggest value of x / smallest value of y ( can you see why?)

So \displaystyle w_{\text{max}} = \sqrt{\frac{x_{\text{max}}}{ y_{\text{min}}} } - can you then see what you need to do for w_{\text{min}}?

(Original post by Zacken)
    So basically you have x_{\text{min}} = 5.425 and x_{\text{max}} = 5.435 (and similar for y min and max).

Then to get the biggest value of w, you want biggest value of x / smallest value of y ( can you see why?)

So \displaystyle w_{\text{max}} = \sqrt{\frac{x_{\text{max}}}{ y_{\text{min}}} } - can you then see what you need to do for w_{\text{min}}?
    so to a suitable degree of accuracy means the biggest value possible?

ReputationRep:
    so to a suitable degree of accuracy means the biggest value possible?
    Sorry, just properly read your question, you'd already done that bit! Uhm, basically, to a suitable degree of accuracy means the value of w that both w_{\text{min}} and w_{\text{max}} round off to the same thing.

So, ask yourself is w=1.0962 is suitable by checking whether w = 1.0973 rounds to that. Obviously not.

Is w = 1.096 suitable? Does both w = 1.0973 and w = 1.0962 round off to that (to 3 d.p)? Obviously not.

What about w = 1.10 (2 d.p). Do both values of w round off to that? If so, then that's the suitable degree, other wise try once decimal place and then one significant figure, etc...

(Original post by Zacken)
    Sorry, just properly read your question, you'd already done that bit! Uhm, basically, to a suitable degree of accuracy means the value of w that both w_{\text{min}} and w_{\text{max}} round off to the same thing.

So, ask yourself is w=1.0962 is suitable by checking whether w = 1.0973 rounds to that. Obviously not.

Is w = 1.096 suitable? Does both w = 1.0973 and w = 1.0962 round off to that (to 3 d.p)? Obviously not.

What about w = 1.10 (2 d.p). Do both values of w round off to that? If so, then that's the suitable degree, other wise try once decimal place and then one significant figure, etc...
    Thanks Zacken!!! helpful as usual!!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Zacken!!! helpful as usual!!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.