Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would there be time and the people for a normal social life if I work in the City? Watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    One thing I'm greatly over thinking and contemplating at the moment is whether I would still have the time and the people around me to have a sweet enough social life around London if I had a City job...

I don't know whether I should do a Psychology degree and pursue Psychology, what might also interest me more, but may not lead to fulfilling, fruitful employment (unless I remain in education for a long time and get a Master's/go beyond UG level, in which case I could be a psychologist or go into research even), or whether I do a Management or Business and Management degree and aim for a City job.

If I do Business, and end up having a City job, I fear I might not have the time or come to know of the people (well, wishfully female friends) to go out to places around London like Camden or Shoreditch with. I have this idea in my head that I'll be confined and suppressed by the priorities such work would bring, i.e making money... I definitely want a work-life balance into the future, for I have had a miserably lonely life so far. I've never had a social life due to complex reasons.

I have thoughts of remaining in education for a long time so that I can come across more people and possibly end up with a stronger social life. There would be many other positives too to staying in education for a long time. I just don't know what education to go after...

To not drift off-topic, the point of this thread and these words I'm writing here is that I want to get an idea from people on TSR of what a probable social life would be like if I do a Business and Management or Management degree and pursue a career in financial services or business in the City....?

You know, I badly dream of going out to places like Camden with friends, female friends, like normal people do, before I die. I don't want to put myself in a situation whereby I am just stuck in a routine strongly tied with the job I have.

I want a strong social and sex life. What do I do? I'm worried I'll never get a life. I don't currently work or study and I have no friends at all and no life whatsoever, and I've always been lonely because of pitiful circumstances I once had, outcast amongst a year group full of ***** essentially, outcast in a boy's private school I had a bursary to go to.
    Depends what kind of city job. If it's like banking or IB, then you'll probably work till late every night and go drinking every night (seems to be the pattern with family members who work in the city). You can have a social life in London, and I'm sure you'll find friends as it's the biggest city in the UK.

If you want to do education, do education. If you want to work in the city, then go work in the city. Do whichever one you think will make you more happy, as money isn't everything.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.