Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

My son has an unconditional place at an English uni in September. All his schooling was in the UK and we all hold UK passports. Today he received a letter from student finance asking for evidence to prove that he is entitled to apply for this.
    My son came with my husband and I in June 2015 (as he had finished his A levels and was taking a gap year) to Canada where my husband had been offered work. He has worked here and travelled but this is difficult to provide evidence for. He has not been in the UK since June 2015. We managed to get permanent residency in Canada for the three of us in January 2016 thinking it would be useful for our son in the future if he ever wanted to work here in Canada. He never intended staying here and was delighted to be offered a place at uni. Our problem now is he is being asked for evidence of his address for the 3 years prior to September 2106. Apparently he should have resided in the UK at this time. Having acquired this PR I have an awful feeling we have now excluded him from being able to get student finance. He is devastated. I have checked you cannot just give your PR back it doesn't expire as such. Any advise is gratefully welcome
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Frasam)
    Hi

My son has an unconditional place at an English uni in September. All his schooling was in the UK and we all hold UK passports. Today he received a letter from student finance asking for evidence to prove that he is entitled to apply for this.
    My son came with my husband and I in June 2015 (as he had finished his A levels and was taking a gap year) to Canada where my husband had been offered work. He has worked here and travelled but this is difficult to provide evidence for. He has not been in the UK since June 2015. We managed to get permanent residency in Canada for the three of us in January 2016 thinking it would be useful for our son in the future if he ever wanted to work here in Canada. He never intended staying here and was delighted to be offered a place at uni. Our problem now is he is being asked for evidence of his address for the 3 years prior to September 2106. Apparently he should have resided in the UK at this time. Having acquired this PR I have an awful feeling we have now excluded him from being able to get student finance. He is devastated. I have checked you cannot just give your PR back it doesn't expire as such. Any advise is gratefully welcome
    You need to be able to prove that the move to Canada was temporary for your son to meet the requirements for student finance.

If your husband's employment was on a fixed term or temporary basis that would usually be enough. Similarly if your visas were temporary.

Another way to prove that the move was temporary is if you can prove you kept a residence in the UK with the intention of returning. Stayed on the electoral roll. Paid UK taxes to HMRC etc etc.

Worst case scenario - your son moves back without you this summer for a year of working in the UK, defers his offer and reapplies for finance this time next year. It would mean a gap year but he would then have proved that the move to Canada wasn't a permanent one.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.