Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/ne...000_fines.html

I know alot of people have qualms with skaters who tend to find areas then claim them as their own, but in my experience, they only make the areas mentioned in the article more lively and friendly. They're completely harmless. They're not at all the drug pushing, underage drinking thugs that they're portrayed as in the article, and I think to have young people enjoying perfectly healthy, harmless activities in a city is an asset.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I agree, but it can be intimidating. In Portsmouth a lot of skaters congregate in the guildhall square, on the steps on each side, so walking through is kind of a "and yea i walk into the valley of death" experience. Especially if you are on your own and not wearing your skater clothes

ReputationRep:
    Was that the correct link? This said about a religious congregation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Was that the correct link? This said about a religious congregation.
    LMAO made the post about 10 times more interesting

ReputationRep:
    Ahahha =x that is such a me thing to do. Oh well. Here's the intended link =P http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/ne...000_fines.html

ReputationRep:
    Seems totally out of order, I would change me mind if there was any sort of evidence for them doing damage however even then they should be fined for the damage not the skating

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody ever been "run over" or had their property damaged by a skateboarder? This seems to be the only argument against them. I can't really see where it comes from I've never seen it happen in my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Has anybody ever been "run over" or had their property damaged by a skateboarder? This seems to be the only argument against them. I can't really see where it comes from I've never seen it happen in my life.
    There are far worse things can be invovled with like arson at that age, skating is realtively harmless

ReputationRep:
    If they do damage then you could get them done for normal criminal damage. I don't see why they should ban this. And one thing about noise. Could you please ban in-car radios? I am fed up with hearing urban and dance music so loud they already think they're in a nightclub, clearly not able to drive with 100% concentration (they like to think they can).

Haven't they [Manchester Council] got better things to be doing? Is this what we're paying for out of taxes for more bobbies on the beat?

I'm not exactly how the bye-law can work. I've seen them easily being quashed when they arise in court. You can't use a bye-law to prevent access to common land, if they do that here don't expect the bye-law to stand for too long.

ReputationRep:
    They're a lot less dangerous and do a lot less damage than motorists.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/ne...000_fines.html

I know alot of people have qualms with skaters who tend to find areas then claim them as their own, but in my experience, they only make the areas mentioned in the article more lively and friendly. They're completely harmless. They're not at all the drug pushing, underage drinking thugs that they're portrayed as in the article, and I think to have young people enjoying perfectly healthy, harmless activities in a city is an asset.

What do you think?
    You're a stoner... admit it.

ReputationRep:
    People should lay off the skaters. All they want is a place to go and skate - if the council built some more skate parks there wouldn't be a problem (and the problem is mostly just people always assumming that young people are trouble) - there are much worse crimes such as being a lawer or a pop star.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    People should lay off the skaters. All they want is a place to go and skate - if the council built some more skate parks there wouldn't be a problem (and the problem is mostly just people always assumming that young people are trouble) - there are much worse crimes such as being a lawer or a pop star.
    i agree there lots of things that would be worse than just skating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    You're a stoner... admit it.
    It's true. I'm a stoner and I haven't showered since Thursday.

ReputationRep:
    Every Friday night (I think it's Friday) there is an organised skate around Paris. i saw it when I was on holiday. Roads were closed and hundreds of skaters followed some marshals around the whole city. It looked fun but you would have to be a pretty good skater.

not being arrogant here, i can't play football or cricket, but i am an amazing rollerskater!

ReputationRep:
    Skaters in Manchester are a bit annoying tbh as they can be dangerous if you walk in the their path.

ReputationRep:
    some of them think its funny to ram their boards into peoples ankles.

thats the only problem i have with a few of them, most of the time they dont cause any trouble

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Skaters in Manchester are a bit annoying tbh as they can be dangerous if you walk in the their path.
    But are they as dangerous as car drivers?

It would be silly to act on the lesser dangerous of the two without the greater one.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have.

And it wasn't deliberate, the guy who did i just didn't realise I couldn't get out of his way. I was having a verygood day so wasn't using my sticks which means I walk slowly and don't have very good ballance. You could say I should always use a stick but if you have ever used a walking stick for more than 10 mins you may apretiate how much I hate them.

I'm always carefull crossing roads but sometimes skaters come out of nowhere, are on the pavement and just don't realise how scary it is for someone like me. I can't get out of the way. I also NEED to use handrails if I attempt steps and I don't see why I should have to wait until a group have all finnished grinding (is that the right word) before I can use the steps.

I'm not a copletly old fart, where I used to live my front garden was paved and perfect for kids practicing jumps. I told them to go ahead as long as they didn't cause damage.

I think the fact that the council has introduced a skate park is significant, they are at least giving the skaters somewhere to go.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.