The Student Room Group

Leaving behind old people/acquaintances from your life and taking up new challenges

Hi,

I'm off to my first choice uniiversity this autumn hopefully, and was just a bit apprehensive as to how I'll cope with leaving a place a grew up in, especially a school I've been at for 7 years. I'm rather neutral in my attitude towards the school - I feel I'll achieve my potential but I think it will be hard for me to interact with new people because I have almost lost that ability. Is it irrational for me to worry?
Reply 1
It's definitely not irrational to have these worries before starting university!
Moving to somewhere new/outside your comfort zone will always feel like a worry to begin with, but I am sure with time you will adapt. There'll be loads of people in the same situation as you, try doing some research beforehand on clubs/societies/activities you might like to be involved with as this sort of interaction will help break in your arrival!

There's no guarantee things will work out perfectly but it's worth giving it a chance! I moved from a small town in the countryside up north to London when I went to uni and I couldn't have been more out of my comfort zone and it took me a long time to adjust but it was worth it in the end.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending