Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed equations in both my normal maths (edexcel, non-calculator tomorrow) and my further maths (aqa) past papers and revision with f(x) in somewhere and even though we've gone over it several times in the lessons I don't understand it or remember how to solve it. Could someone explain ot to me please?
    I'll include a picture of the question I got stuck on today, ignore my wrong answers.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  504.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt)
    I've noticed equations in both my normal maths (edexcel, non-calculator tomorrow) and my further maths (aqa) past papers and revision with f(x) in somewhere and even though we've gone over it several times in the lessons I don't understand it or remember how to solve it. Could someone explain ot to me please?
    I'll include a picture of the question I got stuck on today, ignore my wrong answers.Name:  image.jpg
    The second question answer is 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You basically divide where it meets the x values which is -4 divide by 4 Which is -1, then the next x value is 4 so you divide it by 4 which is 1 then the difference between then is 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    f(ax) --> squashes graph parallel to the x axis by scale factor 1/a
    so both of the points that cross the x axis are multiplied by 1/4 (eg the point which crosses the x axis at (4,0) will become (1,0))
    then work out the distance between the 2 new points

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monsor)
    You basically divide where it meets the x values which is -4 divide by 4 Which is -1, then the next x value is 4 so you divide it by 4 which is 1 then the difference between then is 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by surina16)
    f(ax) --> squashes graph parallel to the x axis by scale factor 1/a
    so both of the points that cross the x axis are multiplied by 1/4 (eg the point which crosses the x axis at (4,0) will become (1,0))
    then work out the distance between the 2 new points
    Thankyou, I've realised that I meant to write (0,1) for the first one rather than (1,0), I just had a blonde moment.
    The second question makes sense now, I undestand where I went wrong, I multiplied each of the points by four rather than dividing, so thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou, I've realised that I meant to write (0,1) for the first one rather than (1,0), I just had a blonde moment.
    The second question makes sense now, I undestand where I went wrong, I multiplied each of the points by four rather than dividing, so thankyou
    no problem, good luck in tomorrow's exam! hoping the exam doesn't contain any 'controversial' questions...

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome, best of luck tomorrow aim for that a*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.