Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im learning to horse ride this summer. I have always wanted to do it but have never had the money. Is it strange for an adult to learn? I cant wait, Im so excited
    Does anybody else ride?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homegrownkitten)
    Im learning to horse ride this summer. I have always wanted to do it but have never had the money. Is it strange for an adult to learn? I cant wait, Im so excited
    Does anybody else ride?
    hoofbeat i think does. i think she owns a horse :eek:

No, but i know a few people that do, and they all love it.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody else ride?
    Of course it's not strange for an adult to learn! Horse riding is a wonderful thing to do, great way to keep fit! Cate and I have had three horses in the past, but sadly don't ride much now. We absolutely love horse riding, and I'm sure you will too! Be prepared for your legs to ache a bit after the first couple of times though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    Horse riding is a wonderful thing to do, great way to keep fit!
    For the horses?

I went horse riding once and it was good fun! I'd probably make a handy jockey only weighing as much as I do

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody else ride?
    Yeah I ride
    Of course it isn't strange for an adult to learn to ride! My mum and dad learned to ride when they were adults, and they had a horse of their own within a few months :eek:

(Original post by Cate)
    Yeah I ride
    Of course it isn't strange for an adult to learn to ride! My mum and dad learned to ride when they were adults, and they had a horse of their own within a few months
    Another person to add to my list of people that horse ride, i didn't realise it was so popular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Another person to add to my list of people that horse ride, i didn't realise it was so popular.
    Indeed It is awesome

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's not strange for an adult to learn! Horse riding is a wonderful thing to do, great way to keep fit! Cate and I have had three horses in the past, but sadly don't ride much now. We absolutely love horse riding, and I'm sure you will too! Be prepared for your legs to ache a bit after the first couple of times though!
    My legs are quite toned. Last year on holiday me n my bf went on a pony treck. He kept on saying that I'd be walking like John Wayne for a few days, but I was fine. It was him who couldnt walk and he had been riding before lol

ReputationRep:
    i have a horse they are great but they poo alot :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody else ride?
    Oo0o0o0o0o0o0uch!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    Oo0o0o0o0o0o0uch!!!
    Why ouch? Is it the hurty bum thing?

ReputationRep:
    yes....

ReputationRep:
    thighs and bum will kane like a ***** 4 a while but the more you do it th ebetter it gets! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    yes....
    Well, like I said in my other post, Im quite toned. It didnt bother me when I went on a pony treck. My feet did go numb after about an hour and a half tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    yes....
    the cartoon is funny!

ReputationRep:
    I ride - have done since I was six It is definately not unusual for people to take up riding when they are adults - it is wonderful and you really should enjoy it. Mind you - don't expect to be wonderful and gracefully galloping across the fields for a while yet - most beginners look a little gawky to begin with I find There is a lot more to riding than many people think - but it can only get better in my experience.

With regards to the pain element - this is due to the different muscles you use (especially in your thighs) when riding, which you don't use much in normal day today life. It is possible that when you went on the trek, you weren't 'riding' the horse - more just sitting - eg. you hadn't had instruction on position, aids etc - so you didn't use all those muscles - hence why it didnt hurt much! Mind you, you may find you just have exceptionally well excercised thigh muscles - which is always a good thing

You'll probably get a sore bum when you start learning how to rise to the trot correctly, or sit to the canter - depends on the person but it can take a while to get used to the technique so people often bounce around a fair bit before mastering it :rolleyes: Worse for the boys though

Anyway - enjoy youself

ReputationRep:
    I've been having weekly riding lessons for about 9 years now and it's great! I don't have my own horse as I don't have the time or the money. It's not unusual for an adult to be learning to ride- I've seen plenty of adult beginners. It aches a bit but the aches are more than made up for by the benefits.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.