Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so baaically i was wondering if it is possible to go to a better postgraduate like exeter brimingham durham ucl warwick etc with a 2:1 (62% which is a low 2:1) in psychology from covemtry uni. anyone here went from average uni to a better uni for postgrad?

ReputationRep:
    With just a low 2:1 you can forget about getting on to a postgrad course at all, let alone one at a high ranking university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stevey396)
    With just a low 2:1 you can forget about getting on to a postgrad course at all, let alone one at a high ranking university.
    A lot of post graduate courses have a 2:1 as entry criteria....I'm sure if you have a good personal statement and references you can make this achievable.

ReputationRep:
    Thats ********.

The only university that I would forget about is Oxbridge or Imperial.

Almost all unis apart from the 3 above want a 2:1, in fact, I will most likely be going to Warwick or Loughborough from Coventry with 65% in Mech Eng. Both of which are considered top 5 in the UK in Engineering.

ReputationRep:
    I did Mech Eng at Coventry this year and will get 65-67%.

I will either go to Warwick or Lougborough for Msc, havent decided yet but certainly can. Just make sure you apply in time with references that will support you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmar167)
    A lot of post graduate courses have a 2:1 as entry criteria....I'm sure if you have a good personal statement and references you can make this achievable.
    Yes I know, but it's not like undergrad where you're guaranteed an offer if you have the grades (excluding Oxbridge). The majority of applicants are likely to have either a 1st or a high 2:1, which puts someone with a low 2:1 at a big disadvantage, particularly if they're coming from somewhere sh*t like Coventry.

OP - you'd better have a lot of work experience and faultless references or it's highly unlikely you will stand a chance.

ReputationRep:
    You won't get in for psychology at those but any self-funding dipstick can get onto 'a masters'. Half the Chinese kids can barely order breakfast in the refectory.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wrong.

I got onto a few courses with a 2.2 in psychology

ReputationRep:
    Outside of TSR and a tiny number of industries (primarily law and finance) no-one knows or cares about university rankings, and they mean nothing in the real world.

If you get the grades required and can put a decent application together you'll have a chance wherever you apply.

ReputationRep:
    Good news, I got an offer from Exeter and Birmingham for their msc programme. so happy.
    2:1 rules

ReputationRep:
    I went to University of Derby, got a 2:1. Received offers for all the postgrads I applied for, but chose to accept University of Exeter. Congrats to you, by the way

ReputationRep:
    This is b.s.

I got accepted in RHUL and Leeds (with scholarship too) with my 2.1

Congrats OP

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.