Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got this answer to a vectors question but I tried it a different way and got a different answer and I'm not sure what I've done wrong
    First part of the question is -a+b and that's right
    Next I did OP= OB + 1/4AB
    =b+1/4(-a+b)
    =5/4b - 1/4a
    But when I did it this way OP=OA+3/4AB
    =a+3/4(-a+b)
    =a - 3/4a +3/4b
    =1/4a +3/4b
    and they aren't the same

ReputationRep:
    Here's the question
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purpleunicorn197)
    Here's the question
    Actually never mind- I got it

ReputationRep:
    In the first way, you did it wrong. Thats why you got 5/4b - 1/4a. You're meant to subtract the 1/4(AB) because BP runs in the opposite direction to AB, so it should be negative.

Your second answer is right

(Edit: Sorry, I only made this post during the time you worked it out so I didn't see you got it, apologies xD)

ReputationRep:
    The first method you used, OP = OB + 1/4 AB, you need to use 1/4 BA not AB, because you're going the other way, so instead of using AB = -a+b you need to use BA (which is effectively negative AB), which would be a-b or b + -a

Hope that helps and good luck today!

ReputationRep:
    The second way is correct and the answer should be -1/4a + 3/4b.
    This is because when you did the first way you accidently did OP = OB +1/4AB.
    However if you look at the diagram, you were supposed to do 1/4BA, which is why you ended up with two different values.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.