The Student Room Group

I hate working in McDonalds- rant!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I've been working in McDonalds for the last 4-5 weeks, and I can honestly say, I detest it with a passion.

I know many people here will tell me, 'well you don't like it quit', and while that might be a attractive prospect, I can't because I am financially tied to the job with regards bills and the like.

I only took this damn job due to wanting to move away from my family and to live with my partner, which I am now by the way- to then look for a graduate role, which I'm also doing.

Now-- on to describing what is the Mc-**** job:

Managers speak to you like utter rubbish, and the store culture is such that they ask you to do something, if your not in the vicinity or you don't hear them your regarded as 'ignorant' and they have a good bitch about you despite you only been around the corner.

Its like not only do they bitch behind your back, its done slyly *or not so* in front of you, often when your feet away from them. Its so obvious its about you.

Your asked to put down like a bag of nuggets, less than five seconds later; 'We want apple pies down', and so on and so forth. Your literally rushed off your feet, and they literally ask you have you done them, and how long on those nuggets??

Its kind of like, well, hang on a second there, I'm doing the other stuff you asked me before you start getting shirty with me. One time, a colleague of mine responded back to a scolding he was getting, as a result of putting down too many nuggets- wastage, the manager told him 'he has answers for everything'. It was a reasoned response too.

They just treated him like garbage. He'd put a full bag down as another colleague asked him too, and despite him telling manager that, she still got angry.

He simply told her: "well you can't win either way, you don't put any down you get a telling off, and if you do you get it''.

Ultimately, if you can't do your jobs in those orders, clean down work surfaces, juggle tasks, and in other words dance to the sound of their tune your seen as incompetent.

Well you know what, I've had it with this degrading, depreciating job where managers act like little children, openly slating your colleagues calling them 'idiots' in front of me, and displaying playground bullying tactics despite been like in their forties.

I've had other jobs before and I've never had this treatment anywhere else. I get that its a fast food place, they expect things to happen fast. However, I've been here 6 weeks, I'm not going to be the fastest worker ever!

Other times, I've been asked to do particular tasks, and I've told said managers I don't know how to do this, and they give me dirty looks, as though I should know- and its like 'well, nobody has shown me this stuff'. I had to ask a Crew Member to show me and he was lovely, diligent and took his time to show me- better than any manager.

To say they have one of the best training programmes as a large corp company is pathetic, because our store is shocking.

Like I say, in my other jobs I've been regarded as very good at what I did. Bare to mind, that was a different environment. Here I'm treated like the guy that is considered last, as they all think im ****

Rant over.

Anybody else experience similar? Anything to add?

my friend who worked there basically said the same. she left and became the assistant manager to our towns locals coral bookies and she gets treated equally as bad!
PC.Police seriously- go away and entertain yourself with some tin foil or something. You're far too immature for this conversation.

bro i freaking gifted u GNAWLEDGE about getting moneies in college read my previous post, and this is how u thank me. At the end of the day, im not the one working at McDonalds LOL u deserve to be there ungrateful fool
Original post by Killerpenguin15
Working in a high-paced environment such as McDonald's can often be a cut-throat environment, unfortunately. If you are already a graduate, the best thing that you could do would be to look for a better position within McDonald's within another store, such as a supervisor or (assistant) store manager maybe?

Thank you for your advice.

I mean, to be quite honest, I am not interested in working for McDs longer term- and perhaps this translates in my attitude when I work. I just can't put up with the sort of stress this environment produces.

I must say, working in McDonalds has been an eye-opener, I used to think it'd be an easy job, but it really isn't. It's the dire opposite!

I don't think I can ever view the establishment the same way again, the food, the atmosphere. I dunno if I will eat there again after my employment, not because of the quality of food, because of the stress and traumatic experiences.
I worked for a fashion retailer for 4 years where I was treated like rubbish. I was made to do all of the worst jobs and was mocked by some of the staff because I had a degree. I needed to work there because I needed to work alongside University so that I could afford to eat because my student loan only just about covered my accommodation. I also had to pay my tuition fees for the first two years out of my maintenance loan, because the tuition fee loan only came out in my 3rd year of university. I was studying a full time degree and working 20-30 hours a week on top of that.

When I did my Masters degree, I had to work 2 jobs just to pay for it. I had a full time job doing 12 hours a day, 5 days a week in an extremely demoralising, high pressure sales environment. I couldn't go to most of my lectures and pretty much had to write my essays at night after a gruelling, exhausting day with my manager shouting in my ear to get more sales when I was in the middle of a phone call.

Stop moaning, you have to do what is necessary to make ends meet. It pays off in the end and if you don't like it, get another job.
Thank you for your advice.

I mean, to be quite honest, I am not interested in working for McDs longer term- and perhaps this translates in my attitude when I work. I just can't put up with the sort of stress this environment produces.

I must say, working in McDonalds has been an eye-opener, I used to think it'd be an easy job, but it really isn't. It's the dire opposite!

I don't think I can ever view the establishment the same way again, the food, the atmosphere. I dunno if I will eat there again after my employment, not because of the quality of food, because of the stress and traumatic experiences.

Thank you for your response :smile: .

Your current job at McDonald's is a wake up call, I suppose. It's clearly given you the drive you need to apply to something a lot better, and that's a fantastic thing! You might find that your views will change if you were to apply for a different position at McDonald's (eg Marketing, management, etc) that doesn't require a lot of low-skilled, hard labour. It's no secret that being at the bottom of the chain for companies like McDonald's does entail a lot of low-paid grunt work but that's really for students who are still studying, and need a bit of money to support their studies.
Work-related rant:

To my customers:
I ****ing hate some people. I work in a supermarket, that does not make me your slave. If I've told you I'm going on a break down bring your basket over to me you cretin. I may work in a supermarket, but I'm not stupid. Don't treat me like I'm an idiot, I'm actually on a gap year and hold a place at Oxford. If you want something, look for it. I'm not here to fetch things for you. If you want to buy your food from us then you have to expect a queue once in a while. If you don't like it, shop online. If you think we're expensive and over-priced, **** off! What do you expect me to do about it? If something isn't reduced, it doesn't mean I'm going to reduce it for you just because that's what you want. If something won't scan and you say "that's your problem", I'm not going to stand there and take that **** from you, if I respond to you and call you out on obvious bs you don't actually have any grounds to report me as you were rude to me first.

To my colleagues:
I may be relatively new and younger than you, but that doesn't mean I'm stupid. I won't for one moment be bullied by you because you think you're in charge. If your an ******* to me, I'll be one right back at you. I won't be spoken to or treated like a child due to being your junior. If you have a task to do, and I'm coming in after you, don't leave it me you clapped ****. Work's a lot easier if people just do things right first time and don't leave them for people who come after you. If I'm doing deliveries or working stock don't call me to the tills unless it's absolutely necessary!
I worked at McDonald's for 3 months last year, then I found a retail position which had better hours and marginally better pay. Try and get into retail, it's not quite as faced paced.
I used to work in the family takeaway. Most of the time, the customers are decent people, but there's always that one slimy pr*ck who want to ruin your day. I had a customer over the phone, and halfway through the order, I asked her to repeat something since it was like she was whispering down the phone. And I actually heard her say, on the other end of the phone, "Bloody useless kid". It took every ounce of self control not to hang up.
Point is, if you're a customer, remember that us workers are people too. Don't talk down on us, and don't treat us like sh*t.
Original post by Nidhoggr
Chuckled to myself when I read:

"and they literally ask you have you done them, and how long on those nuggets?"

The question itself is simply amusing. If someone asked me how long on those nuggets, I'd probably laugh out loud and respond:

"The nuggets are done. Just go and look in the toilet. I left them in there hot, steamy and ready to eat"

lmao

hahahahaha omg!! hahaha
Work-related rant:

To my customers:
I ****ing hate some people. I work in a supermarket, that does not make me your slave. If I've told you I'm going on a break down bring your basket over to me you cretin. I may work in a supermarket, but I'm not stupid. Don't treat me like I'm an idiot, I'm actually on a gap year and hold a place at Oxford. If you want something, look for it. I'm not here to fetch things for you. If you want to buy your food from us then you have to expect a queue once in a while. If you don't like it, shop online. If you think we're expensive and over-priced, **** off! What do you expect me to do about it? If something isn't reduced, it doesn't mean I'm going to reduce it for you just because that's what you want. If something won't scan and you say "that's your problem", I'm not going to stand there and take that **** from you, if I respond to you and call you out on obvious bs you don't actually have any grounds to report me as you were rude to me first.

To my colleagues:
I may be relatively new and younger than you, but that doesn't mean I'm stupid. I won't for one moment be bullied by you because you think you're in charge. If your an ******* to me, I'll be one right back at you. I won't be spoken to or treated like a child due to being your junior. If you have a task to do, and I'm coming in after you, don't leave it me you clapped ****. Work's a lot easier if people just do things right first time and don't leave them for people who come after you. If I'm doing deliveries or working stock don't call me to the tills unless it's absolutely necessary!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::clap2::clap2::congrats::danceboy::evilbanana: said it all mate lmfao
I worked there for 7 months, guess you can call me a hero hahaha, my managers were crap, coworkers crap, absolutely hated it 10/10 would never get a job at mcdonalds again
I've been working in McDonalds for the last 4-5 weeks, and I can honestly say, I detest it with a passion.

I know many people here will tell me, 'well you don't like it quit', and while that might be a attractive prospect, I can't because I am financially tied to the job with regards bills and the like.

I only took this damn job due to wanting to move away from my family and to live with my partner, which I am now by the way- to then look for a graduate role, which I'm also doing.

Now-- on to describing what is the Mc-**** job:

Managers speak to you like utter rubbish, and the store culture is such that they ask you to do something, if your not in the vicinity or you don't hear them your regarded as 'ignorant' and they have a good bitch about you despite you only been around the corner.

Its like not only do they bitch behind your back, its done slyly *or not so* in front of you, often when your feet away from them. Its so obvious its about you.

Your asked to put down like a bag of nuggets, less than five seconds later; 'We want apple pies down', and so on and so forth. Your literally rushed off your feet, and they literally ask you have you done them, and how long on those nuggets??

Its kind of like, well, hang on a second there, I'm doing the other stuff you asked me before you start getting shirty with me. One time, a colleague of mine responded back to a scolding he was getting, as a result of putting down too many nuggets- wastage, the manager told him 'he has answers for everything'. It was a reasoned response too.

They just treated him like garbage. He'd put a full bag down as another colleague asked him too, and despite him telling manager that, she still got angry.

He simply told her: "well you can't win either way, you don't put any down you get a telling off, and if you do you get it''.

Ultimately, if you can't do your jobs in those orders, clean down work surfaces, juggle tasks, and in other words dance to the sound of their tune your seen as incompetent.

Well you know what, I've had it with this degrading, depreciating job where managers act like little children, openly slating your colleagues calling them 'idiots' in front of me, and displaying playground bullying tactics despite been like in their forties.

I've had other jobs before and I've never had this treatment anywhere else. I get that its a fast food place, they expect things to happen fast. However, I've been here 6 weeks, I'm not going to be the fastest worker ever!

Other times, I've been asked to do particular tasks, and I've told said managers I don't know how to do this, and they give me dirty looks, as though I should know- and its like 'well, nobody has shown me this stuff'. I had to ask a Crew Member to show me and he was lovely, diligent and took his time to show me- better than any manager.

To say they have one of the best training programmes as a large corp company is pathetic, because our store is shocking.

Like I say, in my other jobs I've been regarded as very good what I did. Bare to mind, that was a different environment. Here I'm treated like the guy that is considered last, as they all think im ****

Rant over.

Anybody else experience similar? Anything to add?

In 2012 i had to do work experience before i would be given a job in mcdonalds but i never experienced that. Everyone including the manager was nice but i hated the job so i think its just luck if you get a good manager/work colkeagues so go into other mcdonalds with your cv ask to speak to the manager pretend you want to go to a different store because your moving or to be closer to family or any excuse but dont tell them its because you hate the store your at now or that people treat you like ****. Or go in Burger King they always looking for people. Ask to speak to manager. You got experience anyway so they might take you straight away. Maybe theyll treat you better. But dont blame me if the experience is worse if you do work in another store but i do belive that if one store is crap another might treat you better.

Its better to transfer to another store or work at Burger King or you could send complaint by email to the senior manager above your manager because maybe they will care about their employees being treated badly. But i dont want to tell you the wrong thing and you end up losing your job for complaining so its your decision.

But also im going to tell every person looking for a job or anyone who wants a better job than the one their in which is to apply for every Trainee recruitment job.
U have to register with Reed online then type Trainee recruitment jobs that you are looking for because a lot of people dont know that their easy to get and you need no experience to get it. Their willing to train anybody even if youve never had a job before. They especially prefer people with a degree whether you have finished uni or not. I dont have a degree so i just apply for most of them that dont ask for a degree but i still apply for some that ask for degree anyway as some companies will give you the chance if your enthusiadtic. I wish when i was younger that someone hsd told me about Trainee recruitment jobs because you can earn a lot of money with some companies or some send you on free holidays.

Apply online on Reed and Monster websites. But also go into Reed Employment agencies telling them you want to work as a Trainee recruitment consultant, dress smart, bring cv's and do research just by looking at the job description then when they ask you questions you can use it to say why you want to do it. If i had a degree id have more chance of getting the job but if anyone doesnt have a degree dont let it put you off because they will give some people a chance without degree. Ive had one interview and a few telephone interviews, one company want me to do interview by skype. If you get rejected or no replies you just keep applying for different ones because there are so many. But go to the walk in agencies on the street because you might get a job quicker that way then you can get away from mcdonalds. But if you get another job it is important to send an email to the senior manager about how you were treated and that made you leave as some senior managers do care and dont want employees to leave because their treated badly, they want people to stay long term. If you send the same complaint you did on here because its important people who own the company know about this, if no one complains they dont know these things are happening

Havent you seen that programme under cover boss on tv?
Not sure if they did one on mcdonalds but they did on other fast food places and the senior managers would want to know about your bad experience so they can
re train your horrible manager
Original post by limadima
I worked there for 7 months, guess you can call me a hero hahaha, my managers were crap, coworkers crap, absolutely hated it 10/10 would never get a job at mcdonalds again

Yeah pretty much the same as you.

I worked there when I was a first year at uni. One of the worst jobs I've ever done and in hindsight I don't know how I did it.

All I can say OP is that I sympathise - it's an awful job. But keep applying elsewhere and make a real effort to get something more satisfying. I worked there about 6 years ago and since then I've got a degree - now I'm in a job that I love. Things can change but you have to go out and make them change.

I guess one positive from it is that I'm always super nice to fast food workers and people in retail since I know that 99% of their customers are terrible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have a lot to learn about the real world mate. Think of the job as an education,roll with the punches, you will be better prepared for your next job 👍🏻
Just steal from them and do a runner, its morally the right thing to do. Good excuse for a good punch up if it all comes on top as well.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by IsraelStealsTech
Just steal from them and do a runner, its morally the right thing to do. Good excuse for a good punch up if it all comes on top as well.

Morally the best thing to do is never to go near the place.
Original post by IsraelStealsTech

Why are you replying to an one year old thread?
Oh my **** I’ve been working at McDonald’s for like 4 weeks now and I absolutely hate it too. My boss is the most arrogant people I know and they expect me to do **** I’ve never learned... I’m quitting in a month
I relate to everything you said. I've been working at McDonald's in California for roughly one month and I caught on quickly. I'm proficient in grill, fry and breakfast. I have been spoken to like I was on hells kitchen. I finally told one of the shift leaders that if she didn't start speaking to me respectfully I was going to quit. I let her know that I do not speak to her like that and that I expect to be treated the way she wants me to treat her. Taking into consideration the facts that I've been doing exceptionally well and am working 5 days 5 hrs each and my manager offered me more hours, and two people were just fired, the tone changed for the rest of the day. I guess I'll stay...single mom blah blah blah. I'm a good employee as I assume you are as well. The way I see it, if they want us to stay as assets, they better start treating us as such
Reply 39
I know a guy who worked at McDonalds as a shift manager, ...he was only on about £8.50 an hour ...and he said he left the job because of the stress.

Quick Reply

Latest