Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    I recently sat an exam that is worth 60% of my overall grade, the other 40% comes from coursework. In my coursework I got 58% (which is a 2:2). I didn't do very well in the exam so I was just wondering how many marks I will need to get at least 40% overall (the exam was out of 300 marks)
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    I asked a friend and they said i should only need around 60 marks to pass! This seems too low to me!
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    58% of 40% is 23.2%. So you need another 16.8%. So 16.8 / 60 is 28%.

    IOW you need to score 28% in the exam to get a 40% average overall ~ 84 marks out of 300.
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    58%*0.4 + x%*0.6 = 40%

    0.232 + 0.6*x = 0.4

    x = 0.28

    28% out of 300 is 84 marks. Your mate wasn't too far off.
    Offline

    7
    ReputationRep:
    ^ I second that. Different method same answer

    (y/300 x 0.6) + (0.58 x 0.4) = 0.4

    y = 84
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    28% out of 300 is 84 marks. Your mate wasn't too far off.
    beat ya to it
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    beat ya to it
    And I like your method too :/
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! Hopefully I can get 84marks then!
 
 
 
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

    Make your revision easier

    Maths

    Maths Forum posting guidelines

    Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

    Equations

    How to use LaTex

    Writing equations the easy way

    Student revising

    Study habits of A* students

    Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

    Study Planner

    Create your own Study Planner

    Never miss a deadline again

    Polling station sign

    Thinking about a maths degree?

    Chat with other maths applicants

    Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.