The Student Room Group

Unofficial Mark Scheme: AQA Mathematics Unit 1 (Statistics and Number)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bigoliver
I don't supose anyone remembers the question, I remember getting x10–3 too but thought the answer was more like 3.6x10-3 cant remember though.

To the second part of the question, adding 0 and 1 to the original numbers, I circled that it would increased the median, I worked out that it would increase the median but, if you have x numbers all below 0 and you add 2 more numbers both 0 or above (0 and 1 in this case) the median would have to increase, dont see how it could possibly stay the same?

It would stay the same. If you ordered the numbers you would get something like:
0, w, x, y, z, 1
With x and y being the middle numbers that were in the original sequence (w, x, y, z), so the median would still be (x+y)/2.
Original post by chrisandmaddy
i think i may have got this wrong....as i converted to standard form correctly, but not sure if i arranged them in correct order to work out median

I converted them to decimals, which made it easy to put them into a correct order. Both way should work but maybe not if you didn't get the order correct. Of course the order could be either lowest to highest, or highest to lowest and the median would still be the same, so don't worry about which way the order goes.Atleast a point would be given for converting all the numbers into the same form.
Original post by MD_Meridius
It would stay the same. If you ordered the numbers you would get something like:
0, w, x, y, z, 1
With x and y being the middle numbers that were in the original sequence (w, x, y, z), so the median would still be (x+y)/2.

You are right, i was thinking the the w x y z numbers where negative numbers, they are not.
I did definatly convert w x y z to decimals so I dont see how I made such a mistake, I just hope I remember my answer wrong or thats a point I should have got down the drain.
Im aiming for A* so cant afford to drop too many points, I think I have dropped about 7 points in this exam so based on past grade boundries it will be close.
Unit 1 is my worse of the 3 units so I should be OK(fingers crossed), worst case I think Ill have a strong A and should be able to make up the marks in the next two units.

Thanks for your feedback
When do the questions get released by AQA, if I knew the questions I would easily be able to retrace my thoughts and recreate the answers i put in the exam, I really curious now
Original post by bigoliver
When do the questions get released by AQA, if I knew the questions I would easily be able to retrace my thoughts and recreate the answers i put in the exam, I really curious now

The question papers and mark schemes will be released by AQA in May 2017, when they're pretty useless :/
Original post by MD_Meridius
0, w, x, y, z, 1

I think I circled the answer to the right, out of the 3 options, I hope the right answer was the right answer :smile:
My unofficial Unit1 answers, part 1/2...

20160616_115933-1.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
My unofficial answers to Unit 1, part 2/2...

20160616_120950-1.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending