Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ionic Equations for Concentrated sulfuric acid and Potassium Chloride Watch

ReputationRep:
    Simplest Ionic Equations for Concentrated sulfuric acid and Potassium Chloride?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    H2SO4 + 2KCl > K2SO4 + 2HCl is the simplest it will go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineneedles)
    H2SO4 + 2KCl > K2SO4 + 2HCl is the simplest it will go.
    The mark scheme says. Is there any explanation for these ones?

M1 H2SO4 + 2Cl → 2HCl + SO42–
    OR H2SO4 + Cl → HCl + HSO4–
    OR H++ Cl → HCl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LorryBalls)

OR H++ Cl → HCl
    I may have been wrong hahah. I think that I didn't take into account the states of the reactants. Normally in writing an ionic equation you would look at the species which haven't changed oxidation states, but nothing in that equation has appeared to change oxidation state. Were you given any physical states in the question?
    I apologise for potentially confusing you further 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LorryBalls)

OR H++ Cl → HCl
    HCl reacts with H2SO4 to form KHSO4 and HCl. Chloride ions are not strong enough reducing agents to reduce H2SO4 as chloride ions are quite small and so the outer electrons are held strongly by the nucleus. Therefore the reaction does not proceed any further.

However, the KBr will react with H2SO4 to form KHSO4 and HBr. Bromide ions are strong enough reducing agents to reduce H2SO4 to SO2. Iodide ions can reduce H2SO4 further still to sulphur and even as far as hydrogen sulphide (H2S).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.