The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by on_martin
quick question, is there an average ETA on how long it takes for the university to confirm your clearing choice? I'm assuming it's whenever the storms have died down and the phone calls stop?

This is the first year people have been able to refer themselves in normal office hours (last year it was 5pm - the years before that 6pm that track gave the option)....so it's difficult to say

In the past it would have been 12 hours or so - basically waiting until people got into the office on friday morning and started working through them.

This year some might get sorted this evening
On my grades sheet it says 74/100 and 64/100 is this UMS or raw marks? Becuase I checked 74/100 is an A but then on my sheet it says a B grade?
Original post by on_martin
quick question, is there an average ETA on how long it takes for the university to confirm your clearing choice? I'm assuming it's whenever the storms have died down and the phone calls stop?

They tend to do them in batches as they come through. If you had verbal confirmation then no need to worry, enjoy the rest of your day. :smile:
I got A*AA and I'm into the course BUT

both of my As were 269 UMS so one more mark would make them an A* :emo:

worth tryin' a remark? :3
Original post by OddFuturez
On my grades sheet it says 74/100 and 64/100 is this UMS or raw marks? Becuase I checked 74/100 is an A but then on my sheet it says a B grade?

UMS
Original post by Alexion

It depends how much it means to you but for one mark sure why not :smile:
Original post by Alexion

Most certainly
Reply 9227
Original post by OddFuturez

On results sheats it's UMS
Got the grades I wanted! Tired but so so pleased.
Original post by Joeyy113
Both Bs, how about you?:smile:
Sounds like they've been pretty harsh from what mates have said...

Yeah same :smile: I thought English was alright, but I agree about history... haven't found anyone who got an A for it so far
Original post by claireestelle
It depends how much it means to you but for one mark sure why not :smile:

Original post by ninjass
Most certainly

how does the system work?

do you pick a paper to send off or do you just appeal the general grade?

idk I've never done this before :lol:

for deets I got 82/100, 90/100 and 97/100 in FM papers (needed to average 90 for an A*) and 81/100, 138/140 and 50/60 in physics modules (needed the 270 total).
Original post by Aph
On results sheats it's UMS

How do I convert them to raw marks
Original post by CardiffKate
First, well done. They may not have been what you were expecting, but they're definitely good enough to see you to university.

You are genuinely keenly interested in QMUL, so set yourself up somewhere quiet with good phone reception and be ready to sell yourself (in a clam and collected manner!). There is no harm in calling them up.
Make sure you have your UCAS Track/Clearing numbers to hand before you call. They will want to know your grades and will most likely give you the same answer they already have at this point, but you can ask to be kept in consideration or 'on hold' in case they have spaces available closer to the end of the Clearing period (which differs by university and each Clearing period).

If you get chance reiterate all the positives you have mentioned in your personal statement and and other extras you think may be relevant.

Finally, depending on the outcome of that call, don't be too disheartened. You have a solid set of grades and there is no reason you won't still be able to call around other unis (in addition to your insurance choice) and re-evaluate.

I wish you the absolute best of luck with this. Go get 'em!

I waited over 40 minutes on the line, and the call was about 1 minute long, the woman that picked up was very rude and did not accept anything I said, didn't even allow me to speak, she basically said, you didn't meet the grades, you can't get in, bye.

I'm going to write an email to the head of department now, and that will be it.
Original post by Alexion
how does the system work?

do you pick a paper to send off or do you just appeal the general grade?

idk I've never done this before :lol:

for deets I got 82/100, 90/100 and 97/100 in FM papers (needed to average 90 for an A*) and 81/100, 138/140 and 50/60 in physics modules (needed the 270 total).

you choose which paper you want remarking, speak to your centres exams officer and they'll explain it to you :smile: Maybe go for the 82/100 and the 81/100.
Original post by SH0405
Were you close to an A* in either of them?

Last year I got 98% in English and 97% in RE. This year I'm too sad to calculate my ums for A2. But overall in English A Level I got 90% UMS
Original post by PQ
If you're still interested in English then Goldsmiths or Birkbeck in London would both be worth contacting - they're more likely to look beyond the number of A levels and listen to your ECs

Alternatively would taking another A level (or another qualification) at college this year be an option?

Yeah that's the plan I might do a couple a levels. Wonder if unis like UCL will still take me. If I get high predicted grades
Original post by roarchika
Got the grades I wanted! Tired but so so pleased.

Congrats! Where are you off to?
Original post by manningA15
Yeah same :smile: I thought English was alright, but I agree about history... haven't found anyone who got an A for it so far

Yeah English wasn't so bad.... have a girl in my sociology class who managed it, yet she did do nothing but work through out the year.

What section of history did you do? Also what books for english? :smile:
Original post by Wired_1800
Sorry for the sad news. Do you have an insurance choice, where you will be happy to enrol? if I may ask, what is it?

I think you should start looking closely at your insurance choice. Good luck

No I don't
Original post by PQ
Call UCAS now and ask them to cancel it for you if that wasn't your favourite

Thanks for the heads up!! One more question plsss- Unis look at my combined AS and A2 grades instead of just A2 grades, right??

Quick Reply

Latest