Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone get?

What did you get for the Radu and Narinder question?

ReputationRep:
    108m..

ReputationRep:
    I got 120m but I did trial and error :/

ReputationRep:
    I got 108 as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Molly.newcombe)
    I got 108 as well
    How did you get that? I don't think I ever learnt how to answer that sort of question :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlassyMarbles)
    How did you get that? I don't think I ever learnt how to answer that sort of question :/
    I did trial and error but I wasn't sure whether they had run 4 metres at 10 seconds or not so it might have been a bit more

ReputationRep:
    Oh.. I put 128m

ReputationRep:
    I got 80👀 Well I only worked it out now anyways after the exam

ReputationRep:
    I got 1200

ReputationRep:
    I found it hard overall.

ReputationRep:
    I got 120m - I have a C grade in math already and I wanted to get a B this year but this test was ridiculously hard! It was heavily based on graphs. I love the algebra!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cqmerqn)
    What did everyone get?

What did you get for the Radu and Narinder question?
    I got 120. 120/4 = 30 so they have been running for 30 seconds.
    120-30 = 90 and 90/3 = 30 so they have been running for 30 seconds
    At this point the second after the 30th second the one running at 4m/s will be ahead at 124m and the one running 3m/s will be at 123 m

For 108, 108/4 =27 and (108-30)/3 = 26 meaning the one running at 4 m/s will have been runnung for longer which is imposssible. The one running at 3m/s will be at 108m and the runner at 4m/s will be at 104m because 26x4=104 (they have both been running for 26 seconds).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh Stacey)
    I got 120. 120/4 = 30 so they have been running for 30 seconds.
    120-30 = 90 and 90/3 = 30 so they have been running for 30 seconds
    At this point the second after the 30th second the one running at 4m/s will be ahead at 124m and the one running 3m/s will be at 123 m

For 108, 108/4 =27 and (108-30)/3 = 26 meaning the one running at 4 m/s will have been runnung for longer which is imposssible. The one running at 3m/s will be at 108m and the runner at 4m/s will be at 104m because 26x4=104 (they have both been running for 26 seconds).
    I think here I assumed that in the tenth second of the race, the first runner would have done 30m and the second done 4m, rather than the first doing 30m and the second doing 0m, which seems to be correct. I now see that the second idea will land the result of 120m whereas the first, and incorrect, will result in 108m. I think though I will still gain up to 75% of the marks because I did everything else right ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michel1997)
    I got 120m - I have a C grade in math already and I wanted to get a B this year but this test was ridiculously hard! It was heavily based on graphs. I love the algebra!
    Don't worry - everyone in my school found it hard, too, and we're all generally A/A* students, so the grade boundaries will definitely be low. I'm sure you'll get at least a B!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.