Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have been having a hard time getting the correct form for bench press. At first, I used to bend my wrists too far back which caused the obvious pain in my wrist when I bench pressed. I don't know if my wrists have grown accustomed to it or I've stopped bending it as much, but I no longer feel wrist pain. However, now, a new problem has arisen. I find it really hard to hold the bench press bar straight when I bring it down and lift it up. I don't find the weight heavy, infact I'm currently only lifting very light weights until I can get the form down. What I usually find is that when I do bench press it kind of 'tilts' to the right hand side a bit and it looks like I'm struggling... WHEN I'M NOT!

In order for me to hold it straight, it takes a lot of concentration on my part, when my friends make it look like childs play and just hold it straight naturally

Advice?

ReputationRep:
    Before you start benching make sure you roll your shoulders back first, then when you are lying on the bench keep pressure on your shoulders to have them fixed in the rolled back position. That will keep your shoulders in the right place and correct benching posture/form. Balancing the bar is down to any imbalances in your arms (e.g. right arm bigger than left arm) and also practise (sounds like your a newbie). finally when youre acc benching dont fully lock out after each rep, its better for your elbows. also dont bend your wrists back that will defo cause problems lol.
    GL with your progress and get shredded as fuaaaaaaark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kennyboy69.5)
    Before you start benching make sure you roll your shoulders back first, then when you are lying on the bench keep pressure on your shoulders to have them fixed in the rolled back position. That will keep your shoulders in the right place and correct benching posture/form. Balancing the bar is down to any imbalances in your arms (e.g. right arm bigger than left arm) and also practise (sounds like your a newbie). finally when youre acc benching dont fully lock out after each rep, its better for your elbows. also dont bend your wrists back that will defo cause problems lol.
    GL with your progress and get shredded as fuaaaaaaark

safe g

ReputationRep:
    Try to make your shoulder blades press together, this makes benching easier as there is less distance to move it will feel awkward at first though.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Youtube how to bench properly with an arch, shoulder blades together and pulled down

Video your own form, critque it yourself or post it on here and get it critiqued

ReputationRep:
    As said in the other replies, there are a few main points to keep in mind when bench pressing:

1. Imagine holding a pencil in between your shoulder blades.

2. When getting into position under the bar, lie down, get your hand position set, then whilst keeping your shoulder blades engaged, lift your back off the bench and create an arch in your lower back before placing yourself back onto the bench.

3. Keep your bum on the bench.

4. Bring your feet as far back as possible but keep your heels on the ground. Keep your foot position comfortable however the further back and under the bench your feet are, the more you can utilise the leg drive to bench more weight.

To sum up, the arch in your back and engaged shoulder blades allow you to stay 'tight' which shortens the range of movement of the bar and will help keep the bar steady. It will also allow more of your chest to be worked rather than your arms and you can also utilise leg drive to lift more weight.

Visualise pressing yourself into the bench rather than pressing the weight up.

We hope this helps!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.