Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What are some alternate routes into medicine? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm a year 11 student currently doing GCSEs but am worried that my grades are not going to be strong enough to easily get into medical school. What are the alternate routes (such as science degrees which after 1 year you have the opportunity to switch to medicine, not sure about the procedure for those) and the unis and courses that offer these routes. And is there anyone who has gone through one of these alternate routes themselves?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by HR321)
    I'm a year 11 student currently doing GCSEs but am worried that my grades are not going to be strong enough to easily get into medical school. What are the alternate routes (such as science degrees which after 1 year you have the opportunity to switch to medicine, not sure about the procedure for those) and the unis and courses that offer these routes. And is there anyone who has gone through one of these alternate routes themselves?
    It depends what you class as 'not strong enough'. What are your predictions?

Ideally you want to aim to get in to medicine as an undergraduate. There are only a handful of courses that offer transfers to medicine and they only have a very small number of transfer places available (and usually with very rigorous academic requirements).

There are foundation courses if you cone from a disadvantaged background.

But really, wait and see what you get in gcses before deciding your grades aren't strong enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    It depends what you class as 'not strong enough'. What are your predictions?

Ideally you want to aim to get in to medicine as an undergraduate. There are only a handful of courses that offer transfers to medicine and they only have a very small number of transfer places available (and usually with very rigorous academic requirements).

There are foundation courses if you cone from a disadvantaged background.

But really, wait and see what you get in gcses before deciding your grades aren't strong enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is what I'm thinking they're going to be:
    Biology: A*
    Chemistry: B
    Physics: A
    Maths: A
    English lit: A*
    English Lang: A*
    Spanish: A
    RS: A*
    History: A*
    Geography: A

Yeah I do ideally want to get into medicine as an undergraduate, but was just considering a plan B as I am unsure if I'm in a suitable position to be confidently applying to medicine.

Will I realistically be able to work really hard and do well in A levels and BMAT/UKCAT to put me in a good position for getting a place at medical school? And for strategically applying do you know which unis focus least on GCSEs, or have another component (e.g. UKCAT) which they heavily use?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by HR321)
    This is what I'm thinking they're going to be:
    Biology: A*
    Chemistry: B
    Physics: A
    Maths: A
    English lit: A*
    English Lang: A*
    Spanish: A
    RS: A*
    History: A*
    Geography: A

Yeah I do ideally want to get into medicine as an undergraduate, but was just considering a plan B as I am unsure if I'm in a suitable position to be confidently applying to medicine.

Will I realistically be able to work really hard and do well in A levels and BMAT/UKCAT to put me in a good position for getting a place at medical school? And for strategically applying do you know which unis focus least on GCSEs, or have another component (e.g. UKCAT) which they heavily use?
    Those would be excellent results and would allow you to apply to most places (except Oxford and maybe a couple of others). I would certainly be aiming to apply for medicine directly, rather than aiming for GEM or biomedicine and transferring.

For now, don't worry too much about medicine. Focus on getting those grades and enjoying your summer. Start looking in to work experience and volunteering opportunities in your area. Those grades would certainly be good enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Those would be excellent results and would allow you to apply to most places (except Oxford and maybe a couple of others). I would certainly be aiming to apply for medicine directly, rather than aiming for GEM or biomedicine and transferring.

For now, don't worry too much about medicine. Focus on getting those grades and enjoying your summer. Start looking in to work experience and volunteering opportunities in your area. Those grades would certainly be good enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok bit of relief there thanks! I'm a bit concerned about the B in chemistry though:/ and I'm doing 2 weeks work experience shadowing this summer and have got a place at the long term volunteering scheme at my local hospital, what other forms of work experience would you recommend?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by HR321)
    Ok bit of relief there thanks! I'm a bit concerned about the B in chemistry though:/ and I'm doing 2 weeks work experience shadowing this summer and have got a place at the long term volunteering scheme at my local hospital, what other forms of work experience would you recommend?
    Don't be too worried. You'll need an A at a level though.

Anything that can give you insight, either in to being a doctor or the patient's experience. So shadowing is great, as is volunteering at the hospital. Things like care homes are also good for gaining an insight in to the current state of health and social care in this country.

But most things are good really, as long as you can reflect on how they've helped you develop qualities that will be needed as a doctor (teamwork, compassion, good communication skills etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 26, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.