Would I have been caught speeding?

Watch
carman476
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I was casually driving on the motorway yesterday when I noticed a police van parked on a bridge with camera, I checked my speed to find I was going around 74 mph, I slowed down asap however by this point I was already fairly close to the van. Am I likely to be prosecuted?
Masterdigdas
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by carman476)
I was casually driving on the motorway yesterday when I noticed a police van parked on a bridge with camera, I checked my speed to find I was going around 74 mph, I slowed down asap however by this point I was already fairly close to the van. Am I likely to be prosecuted?
I think you're unlikely to be prosecuted, you are only really fined if you're doing 79+ in a 70MPH zone and you'd receive a summons if you were doing 96MPH+... So if you were doing 74MPH. you have nothing to worry.
__0__
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by carman476)
Whilst everyone claims that the rule is 10%+1, I have spoken to multiple police officers, and driving instructors (and police driving instructors), who have all confirmed this is not the case, however, there is a tolerance on the speed guns, which is typically fairly low, but as for doing 74 in a 70? You're good, my car's speedo isn't even that accurate, and could potentially read 70 whilst doing 74!

You should also be okay as long as traffic was flowing around that speed, and you weren't speeding past people, as driving slower may have been dangerous.
shaymarriott
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
10%+2 is the usual tolerance. Your car will almost certainly under-read (I've not yet found a car that doesn't when on cruise with a sat nav running - and I drive a whole lot of cars) so generally if you're reading 83ish or below you'll be fine. No promises mind depends on the person who sees you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Canterbury bloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I thought 10% + 1 or 2 had been binned because speedos are more accurate now. Either way I reckon you'll be okay. My wife used to process the films from Gatso cameras. Even had to process the film with herself speeding on it, which was nice.
Tdawwwg
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Were you ever caught speeding? I'm in the same boat right now and wondering if I'll get a fine 😂
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
OP only posted once 4yrs ago so unlikely we’ll get any update. I’d be surprised if they had any comeback for doing 74 but ultimately you always have to wait and see.
Tdawwwg
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
OP only posted once 4yrs ago so unlikely we’ll get any update. I’d be surprised if they had any comeback for doing 74 but ultimately you always have to wait and see.
It's going to be a loooonnnggg 14 days lol. Guess my mum was right "don't do the crime if you can't do the time"... definitely learnt my lesson😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (59)
26.58%
Less motivated (163)
73.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed