Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueAngel)
    Yeah I did tell them that too, maybe they have places, but thye hate me too much. Maybe its becos I went to public school, I did ok on my GCSE's and I tried my best on my Personal statemnt, also Ive helped out many times, and my reference must be good. Damn Manchester they are just too strict.
    no one ever knows why these things happens. take care

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    Tell me about it. Our college were really concerned and held a no. of meetings because hardly anybody got into Manchester this year. They didn't understand why everyone was getting rejected. It's not like its a bad college - its in the top 15 in the country! :confused: :confused:
    It will be a shame if Manchester becomes to snobby, one of the great thinks about it is that is was very down to earth. This could change I fear.

ReputationRep:
    Thanx to those who helped me write out that letter, I got the following reply from them. Damn I didnt get it.
    I dont want to take a year out, im gonna sulk now.
    Thats not good :mad: . What are you going to do now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    It will be a shame if Manchester becomes to snobby, one of the great thinks about it is that is was very down to earth. This could change I fear.
    that's true, i wonder why they're doing this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starry)
    that's true, i wonder why they're doing this.
    It might be because they are trying to become a 'world class' university and want to rival Oxbridge. They are now seeking 'a better class of student'. This may improve the quality of other manchester universities as students who want to study in Manchester may not be able to get into Manchester even they they are A quality candidates.

I have really liked the Manchester undergrads I have met, they are clever people but they also seem very down to earth. I would hate if these people didn't get in for not going to a posh enough school.

ReputationRep:
    Um that's a rather large leap from wanting to attract the best students to preferring private schoolers, non?

ReputationRep:
    It might be because they are trying to become a 'world class' university and want to rival Oxbridge. They are now seeking 'a better class of student'. This may improve the quality of other manchester universities as students who want to study in Manchester may not be able to get into Manchester even they they are A quality candidates.

I have really liked the Manchester undergrads I have met, they are clever people but they also seem very down to earth. I would hate if these people didn't get in for not going to a posh enough school.

3 of my cousins applied for Man Uni, 2 of them got in last year for Medicine and Biology, they are both from private school. The other cousin got rejected and Leeds Uni accpeted her.

ReputationRep:
    I would hate if these people didn't get in for not going to a posh enough school.

what's that supposed to mean???

are you trying to begrudge posh schools?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Um that's a rather large leap from wanting to attract the best students to preferring private schoolers, non?
    Maybe they do still have no preference but looking at their entry grades they do seem to be asking a lot higher than usual and it wasn't exactly easy to get into before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    Thats not good :mad: . What are you going to do now?

I think I will probably take a Gap year.

ReputationRep:
    3 of my cousins applied for Man Uni, 2 of them got in last year for Medicine and Biology, they are both from private school. The other cousin got rejected and Leeds Uni accpeted her.
    that doesnt tell the whoe story though
    depends on how good your cousins were

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Paul Jones)
    what's that supposed to mean???

are you trying to begrudge posh schools?
    Not posh schools as such, but I don't think universities should have preference for a type of school, and they should perhaps give slightly lower offers to those who went to rough innercity schools where the learning envrionment is probably a lot harder.

ReputationRep:
    My sister is starting Manchester in September, she goes to a state grammer school, but her grades are good. (AAAB) is looking likely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starry)
    that doesnt tell the whoe story though
    depends on how good your cousins were

Although I do know someone who went to public school and got a place in Man Uni with BBB, I think it was for Biochemistry.

ReputationRep:
    I think Manchester, along with a few other unis, are trying to differentiate between those who are strong A grade students and those who may have got them due to a fluke. The clearest sign of this is the fact that Nottingham, Birmingham and a few other uni's are now insisting on enterance tests for law. :confused:
    My sister got into Manchester last yr and I have got the same results as her. The only difference was that she went to a grammar school and I didn't.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they do still have no preference but looking at their entry grades they do seem to be asking a lot higher than usual and it wasn't exactly easy to get into before.
    Hm, but lower grades usually indicate a lower ability. Of course there are exceptions especially in this city, but there are god knows how many access schemes to take that into acocunt. I think Oxbridge have the right attitude.

ReputationRep:
    2 of my mates are doing Psychology @ Manchester this year. Last yr they got (me thinks) AACC

ReputationRep:
    True, but arent Private schoolers usually more clever anyway cos they are taught like that.
    Although I do know someone who went to public school and got a place in Man Uni with BBB, I think it was for Biochemistry.
    For someone who had been predicted good grades that was a silly thing to say. No you aren't more clever because you went to private school. You may get better grades but that doesn't indicate you have higher intelligence levels. You were just fortunate enough to have better teaching and to be in an environment where learning may be encouraged.

I actually felt for you before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    2 of my mates are doing Psychology @ Manchester this year. Last yr they got (me thinks) AACC

I think I will get overall AAB and a C in General studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    For someone who had been predicted good grades that was a silly thing to say. No you aren't more clever because you went to private school. You may get better grades but that doesn't indicate you have higher intelligence levels. You were just fortunate enough to have better teaching and to be in an environment where learning may be encouraged.

I actually felt for you before.

Sorry I shouldnt have said more cleverer, my mistake, I will edit it, I actually did mean what you said. Just didnt know how to put it in words,

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.