Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Lol if you guys want to hear another story about how mean manchester are. The school I went to we were involved in this thing called the Manchester Uni. Targeted Access Scheme. Which basically meant that every few months they'd take us off to the uni and tell us how brilliant uni was and much we should apply. The other part of the deal was, when we came to apply, we would be guaranteed an interview, and special consideration of our circumstances, regardless of our grades and exceptions. So my friend comes to apply for pharmacy courses, and his grades aren't too good, CCC I think, so he applies anyway, hoping he can charm them in the interview. But he doesn't get his interview, he rings them up to ask what's happening, and explain that he's *guaranteed* one, their response was "Yes, but we honestly are never going to take you with CCC, so you really shouldn't bother."

ReputationRep:
    So, what are you going to do? Do a different course? Got to Manchester Met? Take a gap year? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueAngel)
    Sorry I shouldnt have said more cleverer, my mistake, I will edit it, I actually did mean what you said. Just didnt know how to put it in words,
    Don't change it on my account, fair enough it came across wrong it happens. The internet isn't the best medium for getting your point across, but you'll alienate a lot of people saying things like that.

ReputationRep:
    I have always been privately educated

ReputationRep:
    Im not against those who go to private school at all, I took the maths and english test to go to Grammar school in Year 5, and passed. But the only reason I didnt go, was cos my parents couldnt afford it. Those who can are blessed, but Ive read that Uni's are 4 times more likely to pick a private schooler than a public schooler with the same grades. Thats the only reason why Im angry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Lol if you guys want to hear another story about how mean manchester are. The school I went to we were involved in this thing called the Manchester Uni. Targeted Access Scheme. Which basically meant that every few months they'd take us off to the uni and tell us how brilliant uni was and much we should apply. The other part of the deal was, when we came to apply, we would be guaranteed an interview, and special consideration of our circumstances, regardless of our grades and exceptions. So my friend comes to apply for pharmacy courses, and his grades aren't too good, CCC I think, so he applies anyway, hoping he can charm them in the interview. But he doesn't get his interview, he rings them up to ask what's happening, and explain that he's *guaranteed* one, their response was "Yes, but we honestly are never going to take you with CCC, so you really shouldn't bother."
    Really?! Shall I tell you something that will really annoy a lot of ppl who didn't get into Manchester...my sister was asked for an interview but she didn't turn up to it (she didn't really want to go there). She got asked in total 3 times to turn up for an interview and she never went to any. And guess what? They still gave her a place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    So, what are you going to do? Do a different course? Got to Manchester Met? Take a gap year? :confused:

I dont know its a hard decision, thats why I came on here to discuss.
    My mates say take a year out, but my parents say stick with Man met.
    Me, I just dont know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Don't change it on my account, fair enough it came across wrong it happens. The internet isn't the best medium for getting your point across, but you'll alienate a lot of people saying things like that.

I know I should have thought about it first, Im sorry if I caused offence to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    and yes she went to a grammar school

ReputationRep:
    Really?! Shall I tell you something that will really annoy a lot of ppl who didn't get into Manchester...my sister was asked for an interview but she didn't turn up to it (she didn't really want to go there). She got asked in total 3 times to turn up for an interview and she never went to any. And guess what? They still gave her a place!

You see its these little things that annoy me. :mad:
    But she must have been a very smart girl, straight A student, so I dont blame them. Lucky her.

ReputationRep:
    You see its these little things that annoy me. :mad:
    But she must have been a very smart girl, straight A student, so I dont blame them. Lucky her.
    I was a bit annoyed with her too. But we laugh about it now - because she was the one who hated Manchester and wanted to move away, whereas I was the opposite..I was desperate to go to Manchester, but now I'm going to Leeds

ReputationRep:
    I dont know its a hard decision, thats why I came on here to discuss.
    My mates say take a year out, but my parents say stick with Man met.
    Me, I just dont know.
    Well if you get the grades you expected - I would take a year out. This is because I would be able to go to a better university, perhaps gain more qualifications/experience and maybe get a job to finance uni. However, you have to ask yourself, do you want to be a year behind your projected career plans?

Have you gone to see Manchester Met?

ReputationRep:
    Erm another thing I have just thought of, if you take a year out and try get into Manchester, if you work or travel the world during your year out this may look favourably when it comes to you getting a job.

Don't worry about being a year behind as in the real world it dosn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you get the grades you expected - I would take a year out. This is because I would be able to go to a better university, perhaps gain more qualifications/experience and maybe get a job to finance uni. However, you have to ask yourself, do you want to be a year behind your projected career plans?

Have you gone to see Manchester Met?

Yeah I have, its nice inside, but the building which I would be Elisabeth Gaskel is in the end of manchester. I wnated to be in the centre, near the library. The main thing of man met thats bugging me is that as I want to do a PHD, i would need good research facilities, and man mets research isnt that good its 3a/5, compared to Man uni of 5/5.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I would say that you have your answer then. I'd take a gap year then (Though obviously you will have to think about it and see if that is what you really want)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have, its nice inside, but the building which I would be Elisabeth Gaskel is in the end of manchester. I wnated to be in the centre, near the library. The main thing of man met thats bugging me is that as I want to do a PHD, i would need good research facilities, and man mets research isnt that good its 3a/5, compared to Man uni of 5/5.
    If you want to do a PHD then avoid Manchester Met, go some where with decent research rankings. Manchester Met is quite poor at this. From what you have told me I think you should take a year out or try and get into another good university, unless you want Manchester.

Elizbeth Gaskel isn't that far out, only 5 mins walk from Manchester University, but the attompshere round that area is a bit dead, I wouldn't really like to study there.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology in Man Uni.
    The thing is, I did apply for them, but they wanted ABB and my teachers predicted me BCC, so they rejected me. This was last October.
    Now Im predicted AAB, so I emailed them asking that I had imroved, but they had no places left. Got Bad Luck. ****ing teachers - die *****es.

I do have a backup Man Met, they only wnat CCC, so a girl who is achieving AAB shouldnt go to a uni who wnat only 240 points.
    Although, Man Met for Psych is nearly on a par with Man Uni. The reputation of the departments don't have much between them but obviously Man Uni is much more respected as a Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    So my friend comes to apply for pharmacy courses, and his grades aren't too good, CCC I think, so he applies anyway, hoping he can charm them in the interview. But he doesn't get his interview, he rings them up to ask what's happening, and explain that he's *guaranteed* one, their response was "Yes, but we honestly are never going to take you with CCC, so you really shouldn't bother."
    It might seem a bit unfair but it's probably better than him getting his hopes up when they know they're gonna reject him. I was told when I went to Manchester for my interview that when they made their offer of BBB they meant BBB and they wouldn't be willing to budge come results day. (Some schools like Nottingham and Cardiff make AAB/ABB offers but then often take people if they've slipped to BBB) Even the lower ranked pharmacy schools like LJM and De Montford require a B in chemistry.

I know personally I'd rather just be told my grades weren't good enough than thinking I might be in with a chance, finding out they'd only interviewed me because they had to.

ReputationRep:
    There has to be a reason why your predicted grades were lower in the first place. Perhaps they were suspicious - it is not unusual for students to get predicted grades from teachers above what is actually expected of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipsCDRW)
    I'm sypathetic to you BlueAngel. If I were you I'ld take a year out and reapply next year. In the year out you could work and save/spend money (on lipgloss?), or work and travel, or something.

If you want to do something like a PhD, then you hopefully won't ever work in a customer-sevice type environment again. Just working with and around people might even give you useful material or inspiration for your course.

I think I will consider taking a year out, mite open up a lip gloss shop, although I would be very upset if someone buys my glosses. My Dads self employed and he know how to open businnesses, ooo I might just sack the Phd and stick with inventing new lip gloss flavours.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.