Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Would it be possible to do medicine without biology and how would i go about doing that. Would i have to do a foundation year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LorryBalls)
    Would it be possible to do medicine without biology and how would i go about doing that. Would i have to do a foundation year?
    Not all medical schools require biology. See http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...el-requirement though check that the information is up-to-date for your year of entry.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hello,

As written above, not every UK Medical School requires Biology to A level (although most specify that you do need it at GCSE).

What you will need however, is Chemistry.

We've got an updated Medical School Comparison Tool which specifies which A level subjects you'll need to apply for 2017 entry for every Med School in the UK.

You can view it here.

Hope you find it useful!

The Medic Portal
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes it is totally possible, but may cut down your choices of medical schools a little. because some that dont require A2 biology will require it at AS. chemistry is the only mandatory subject for medicine overall, but some unis specifically specify that they want A2 biology.

I say this to every applicant asking this question... why dont you want to take biology?
    Medicine is all about biology, anatomy, cell biology, histology, biochemistry, and biology Alevel not only contributes massively to your background knowledge, but by not taking It I worry its because you dont enjoy it as much, which is not ideal for medicine as biology makes up a good 80% of the course in first year at my university.

ReputationRep:
    I have to say my biology A-level, other than a few key concepts that you could pick up in your own time no problem, was almost irrelevant to my degree. Obviously if the university that interests you requires it then do it, but you will be at no disadvantage studying medicine without it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.