The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths higher boundaries A*-A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Faizanasif
Because I remember it saying AD is this, so you can subtract the height of the big triangle from that to work out the height. But you needed to rationalise to do that, so I did that. I may have got the ending of it wrong, which is why I'm saying I should get 1 mark for it

firstly, i just explained its not an irrational fraction, so whatever ur doin is not rationalising. also, i think u can subtract irrational fractions without rationalising anyway, so there'd be no need to rationalise anyway. lastly as i explained many times b4 the method ur trying to do CANT BE DONE on a non calc as youd need 0.5ab SinC, so you get no marks for working out height of the big triangle.
Original post by emabibi
What do you think you would need out of 200 to get a B in maths. What the lowest and what's the highest?
Thank you

The lowest I know is around 95, the highest around 110 I think. Aim for 105-108 and you should be fine! :smile:
my teacher said
A* - 170
A - 140
B - 110
C - 70
these are the 'safe' grade boundaries to guarantee that grade. however this usually means that the actual boundaries r lower, depending on the difficulty.
Original post by M4keen04
firstly, i just explained its not an irrational fraction, so whatever ur doin is not rationalising. also, i think u can subtract irrational fractions without rationalising anyway, so there'd be no need to rationalise anyway. lastly as i explained many times b4 the method ur trying to do CANT BE DONE on a non calc as youd need 0.5ab SinC, so you get no marks for working out height of the big triangle.

Calm down alright, its not like its a 6 mark question. I made a mistake, and these things happen. I can guarantee you that you won't get 100% in both exams, so I don't know why you're acting as if you're God at Maths. Everyone makes mistakes, and I've carried on from that. I say take a deep breath, end this conversation, and sign out from this, because by the looks of things you're going to get an anger attack!
Calm down alright, its not like its a 6 mark question. I made a mistake, and these things happen. I can guarantee you that you won't get 100% in both exams, so I don't know why you're acting as if you're God at Maths. Everyone makes mistakes, and I've carried on from that. I say take a deep breath, end this conversation, and sign out from this, because by the looks of things you're going to get an anger attack!

actually i checked with my teacher after the exam & i know that i got 2/3 for this Q due to incorrectly simplifying the correct answer. i know i didnt get it completely right, but im just trying to argue how i know its the correct answer
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi Guys, I made some really really silly errors on the paper. I think I am on about 79-81 out of 100. Lets say 79/100. What do you think I need to get in the calc paper that would secure the A* overall?
actually i checked with my teacher after the exam & i know that i got 2/3 for this Q due to incorrectly simplifying the correct answer

So getting 3 marks automatically makes you get '100% in both exams' does it? It not even 5 marks! I don't even know why you even bothered entering this forum if you're just going to annoy people. As you see previously, this forum was really peaceful until you came. I'm not being harsh or anything but I suggest you take your thoughts somewhere else and just annoy yourself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GeekMode1
Hi Guys, I made some really really silly errors on the paper. I think I am on about 79-81 out of 100. Lets say 79/100. What do you think I need to get in the calc paper that would secure the A* overall?

If it is exactly 79/100, the highest you'll need is 90, but most likely should be 86-87 :smile:

i wud say very high, about 88/9, which may be harder since the 2nd exam will prob be more difficult
So getting 3 marks automatically makes you get '100% in both exams' does it? It not even 5 marks! I don't even know why you even bothered entering this forum if you're just going to annoy people. As you see previously, this forum was really peaceful until you came. I'm not being harsh or anything but I suggest you take your thoughts somewhere else and just annoy yourself.

i did not say that. i was just trying to practice my communication skills by by explaining the correct method. if you didnt want me to explain how to answer the Q you could have just said. i thought you replying was an indication you wanted to understand it
(edited 7 years ago)
i did not say that. i was just trying to practice my communication skills by by explaining the correct method. if you didnt want me to explain how to answer the Q you could have just said. i thought you replying was an indication you wanted to understand it

Look at the post I said and look at your reply. That's why I used quotations...
If it is exactly 79/100, the highest you'll need is 90, but most likely should be 86-87 :smile:

ahh okay, just got to do my best and hope the boundary is about 81/82 out of 100.
ahh okay, just got to do my best and hope the boundary is about 81/82 out of 100.

Yeah I reckon the grade boundaries will be around 82 or 83. But don't worry man, you'll get there :wink:

Good luck! :smile:
A* 172/200
a 165/200
Yeah I reckon the grade boundaries will be around 82 or 83. But don't worry man, you'll get there :wink:

Good luck! :smile:

Thank you, appreciate it! Hopefully you will get the A* too :smile:
Reply 115
I believe the boundaries should be lower. The last question was poorly worded and there many questions were people made silly mistakes but for understandable reasons. I think this is an across the board issue so an A should be 125-126 marks. Like if you agree
Original post by Mo128
I believe the boundaries should be lower. The last question was poorly worded and there many questions were people made silly mistakes but for understandable reasons. I think this is an across the board issue so an A should be 125-126 marks. Like if you agree

Definitely. The last question was really confusing. However, the rest of the questions weren't that bad. The inverse one was also a weird one. Should be just a bit lower than average
For the question where you had to write T in terms of x and y, I forgot to write "T =" so I gave myself 1/2 marks. And then I made a really bad error on the Varnish question and used the area as 6m instead of 4m. Would error carried forward apply if the rest of my working etc was correct? I gave myself 2/5 for that question. Any thoughts?
Wasn't it the smaller one? Because the question already gave you the height and base for the bigger one - I'm pretty sure you had to do Pythagoras to work it out as it was a right angle, so that's 1 mark. I'm certain I got at least 1 mark out of 3, but its not like I know a lot of people who got that right. That's the only one I'm not certain of

What question is this?
Original post by goldenusername
What question is this?

Last one. Really pissed me off

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending