Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I noticed that in the Rayleigh flow line in the subsonic part.. while heating the flow it reaches a point where it suddenly drops temperature but entropy still rises. any explanation ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namehereplease)
    Hey guys, I noticed that in the Rayleigh flow line in the subsonic part.. while heating the flow it reaches a point where it suddenly drops temperature but entropy still rises. any explanation ?
    this is an educated guess but:

Entropy is defined as:

ds = dq/T

where T is the static temperature NOT total temperature.

As you heat the fluid the total temperature of the fluid is increasing (i.e. dynamic temp +static temp) but the static temperature term itself will be very different because of the layers in the fluid itself, so obviously some parts of the fluid are hotter than others (just like when you warm up cold tea it can be kinda cold in some areas yet hot in other areas but overall you generally tend to have more hot areas than cold thus total entropy is increasing indicating energy loss).

ReputationRep:
    I think i found the answer.. it is about the stagnation temperature between the 2 Mach numbers where it shows it is cooling.. speed of the flow accelerates faster than the heat added.. so the ratio of the static temperature to stagnation drops while increase in entropy continues. so this shows a drop in temperature which is not correct.

thank you anyway

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 26, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.