The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
i am SO gutted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i reaaaaalllllyyyy hope it's all rebuilt and up and running by september otherwise i may just die-no more hed kandi, no more red room on a thursday.

oh dear god i'll have to stay in and do some work noooooo!
Reply 3
I missed out on a night out there on Friday! I feel remorse that I wasnt there to say goodbye...

Im off in September, so I guess I won't be seeing too much of it again :frown:.
Reply 4
chocmonster
i am SO gutted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i reaaaaalllllyyyy hope it's all rebuilt and up and running by september otherwise i may just die-no more hed kandi, no more red room on a thursday.

oh dear god i'll have to stay in and do some work noooooo!

There is no way it will be rebuilt by September, the current building has collapsed. I would be very surprised if they can even renovate another building between now and september. I'm guessing you, and I, are gonna have to do some work.

Bugger and double bugger.
Reply 5
I'm so lucky I had an absolute blinding night out there the thursday before term ended ... RIP crasher, also well chuffed I got to DJ there :tongue:
I'm so upset what are we going to do on friday, saturdays and mondays ~ pounded has ended also so we can't go there on a monday!!

I want gatecrasher back why did it not happen last week when it was raining as it would still be there!!!

I also wish it could have been corp that burnt down as no one really cares and it looks crap anyway!

I guess it is embrace, leadmill and plug from now on!

I want gatecrasher ~ do you think they will call it gatecrasher 2?
Reply 7
shopaholic_soph
I also wish it could have been corp that burnt down as no one really cares and it looks crap anyway!

OI! Dont even suggest it!!
I keep hearing that it was an insurance job as they were planning to move over to roxy disco this coming Uni year. Apparently it's a bit fishy that it happened just after the students went home for summer - A friend of mine said there were loads of people going in and out of the building yesterday morning, and loads of men hanging around outside.. By the afternoon the place was destroyed :s-smilie: Also people say that they weren't making enough money and have been looking to relocate for a long time.

I'm not passing judgement, just telling you guys what's being said :smile:
Reply 9
Silkiest
I keep hearing that it was an insurance job as they were planning to move over to roxy disco this coming Uni year. Apparently it's a bit fishy that it happened just after the students went home for summer - A friend of mine said there were loads of people going in and out of the building yesterday morning, and loads of men hanging around outside.. By the afternoon the place was destroyed :s-smilie: Also people say that they weren't making enough money and have been looking to relocate for a long time.

apparently the roxy disco building is structurally unsound though.
LostRiot
apparently the roxy disco building is structurally unsound though.

It's not as though a company like GC won't have the money to make the necessary changes though - if they wanted to relocate there.
Reply 11
Every club in Sheffield near enough has been rumoured to be moving to the Roxy. A building which would need re-roofing, re-wiring and the council are desperate to be got rid of. It's had about three (lapsed) planning applications to demolish the building and build flats / shopping / routes to the bus station etc over the last 5 years. No clubs are moving there.

Not really sure where this obsession of people to suggest places are moving there comes from...
Reply 12
dosxuk
Every club in Sheffield near enough has been rumoured to be moving to the Roxy. A building which would need re-roofing, re-wiring and the council are desperate to be got rid of. It's had about three (lapsed) planning applications to demolish the building and build flats / shopping / routes to the bus station etc over the last 5 years. No clubs are moving there.

Not really sure where this obsession of people to suggest places are moving there comes from...

I find it hilarious that so many people get taken in by these rumours...that Roxy one has been doing the rounds for years!

Insurance job? Could be, we'll probably never know. Don't see why though, they were still pulling the crowds in, and they've already said they were going to rebuild on the existing site.
The roxy complex (including the odeon cinema) is planned for demolition when the current lease runs out anyway, so i don't believe that.
Reply 14
This fire thing does sound a bit dodgy, with students gone for summer and business a bit quieter, plus the fact they plan to reopen the first week of october (freshers week or first week of term?!) I hope its re-built as would like to see more judge jules next year!
Silkiest

Ooh I love a good conspiracy theory!

Poor Republic, many a teenage night spent there, many memories.
I don't think the new one will be called GC2 - I think Leeds is Gatecrasher 2? Not 100% sure though.
Reply 16
Genna
This fire thing does sound a bit dodgy, with students gone for summer and business a bit quieter, plus the fact they plan to reopen the first week of october (freshers week or first week of term?!) I hope its re-built as would like to see more judge jules next year!

There is absolutely no way that they will reopen in October. Besides the fact that it will take at least two months to get a licence (only after plans are made) before you can start building, they've already rehomed the boxing day event, so they can't be expecting to be open till January at the absolute earliest.

A bit of nostalgia for you guys :wink:
Reply 18
Old thread I know but funny how rumours are so false.
Roxy Disco... now Carling Academy.
Simon Raine not been charged for fraud, so was an accident as the CCTV shows exactly what sparked the fire. There were people inside working that day. A few days before Toni and Guy had their fashion show, so hence all the 'supsecious looking men'.
Where and why would Gatecrasher relocate? People do not have difficulty getting to to it and they underwent a huge refurbishment.
In ever liked the place anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending