The Student Room Group

Edexcel Biology AS 2016 new spec [Exam discussion thread]

How did everyone find the exam?

I thought it seemed quite different to the other past papers... and really short for time!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Gran0la

I thought it seemed quite different to the other past papers... and really short for time!

same, i ran out of time so i had to skip a 4 mark question and a few of their questions were really confusing?!!
or was it just me..

i didnt think the paper was horrible but it wasnt too great either :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey anyone know if there's a thread for the old syllabus ?
Reply 3
I thought this paper was too long, Everyone seemed to run out of time. Also what was the Pre-Natal test?
it was such a long paper I missed out the last question :s-smilie:
Original post by Marvin16
I thought this paper was too long, Everyone seemed to run out of time. Also what was the Pre-Natal test?

I think it was chronic villus sampling
Original post by Kk1999
Pre-Natal test was not there in the paper!!

yes it was, one marker followed up by a 3 marker related to it
Can anyone remember what the questions were on??
Original post by Kk1999
Pre-Natal test was not there in the paper!!

It was chorionic villus sampling
Reply 9
Original post by Kk1999
can u help me remember?

i think the 3 marker that followed asked why the couple might choose not to do the test or something like that

Posted from TSR Mobile
did anyone else get 25% for Q1a?
Reply 11
For the triglyceride question, did you say it was HDL or LDL? I put LDLs and talked about how they increased blood cholesterol but I really wasn't sure
Original post by Kk1999
can u help me remember?

State a pre-natal test that could be carried out 11 weeks into pregnancy and then it asked to explain why the mother might choose not to have the pre-natal test
Original post by Gran0la

yes i found it really short for time!! didnt manage to look over my questions or complete them all. what did you get on the adenine question? i said 9000, dont know how we should have worked it out
Original post by 2807
For the triglyceride question, did you say it was HDL or LDL? I put LDLs and talked about how they increased blood cholesterol but I really wasn't sure

I talked about both cause they didn't really specify what type of lipoprotein was formed
Reply 15
Original post by 2807

LOL i described both bc i didnt know which it was

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kk1999
can u help me remember?

it was on the first page, right after the 2 marker on genetic diagram.

depending on wether you are doing new spec??
Original post by jayokay
it was such a long paper I missed out the last question :s-smilie:

Same, I didnt even understand the last few questions about the baby and the heart defect, made up some biology there lol
It was a saturated triglyceride (no double bonds). Therefore increased both HDL and LDL levels, however increased LDL levels by greater amount.
Original post by poppygracexx
yes i found it really short for time!! didnt manage to look over my questions or complete them all. what did you get on the adenine question? i said 9000, dont know how we should have worked it out

It was D which was the largest value something like 45690, there should be equal amounts of C and G so equal amounts of A and T.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending