Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it ok to have slave robots? slave microorganisms? slave animals... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it ok to make your toaster work for free. well yes of course but where does it stop? Can we use microorganisms (such a yeast) as "slaves"? If so, what about something bigger? Is it write to make animals work? Where does it stop?

I'm not advocating slavery I am just wondering at which point from having a washing machine to having an unpaid person wash the dished become not ok?

I'm a human supremacist, so I say that all non-human lifeforms (or machines) should be enslaved.

Humans, on the other hand, are usually more valuable as free people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    I'm a human supremacist, so I say that all non-human lifeforms (or machines) should be enslaved.

What about if we found intelligent life on other planets? (e.g ood for Dr Who)

ReputationRep:

That is one of the edgiest things I've ever heard. I don't even totally disagree with you, it's just really edgy sounding

Washing machines and microorganisms don't have emotion...

(Original post by Life_Noob)
    What about if we found intelligent life on other planets? (e.g ood for Dr Who)
    Enslave them, if we can. Or befriend them if we can't. Or get wiped out by them if they are hostile.

(Original post by GwynLordOfCinder)
    That is one of the edgiest things I've ever heard. I don't even totally disagree with you, it's just really edgy sounding
    Why thank you :flutter:

It sounds edgier than it actually is; most people are human supremacists, from Christians to humanists.

Most people believe in human rights - rights you have just for being born human. Tell me that's not human supremacy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    oxen do and we enslave them
    as do horses
    as do elephants
    as do most large land mammals

How do you define emotion? Why does lack of emotion make slavery acceptable? Why does existence of emotion make slavery unacceptable? We've enslaved animals, such as dogs, which have emotions. Is that wrong?

ReputationRep:
    We must take advantage of the robots before they take over the world.

ReputationRep:
    as do horses
    as do elephants
    exactly, so where does it stop? What if we could breed 'lesser' humans who didn't have the power to stay stop. Would it stop at land mammals??!

(Original post by Life_Noob)
    exactly, so where does it stop? What if we could breed 'lesser' humans who didn't have the power to stay stop. Would it stop at land mammals??!
    By 'lesser humans', what do you mean? We could put human genes into animals, we could grow human parts for cyborgs, but that doesn't make them humans. Its all about the brain, imo. Put a human brain in a machine, and its a human. Put a machine in a humans body, its a robot.

as do horses
    as do elephants
    I never said they didn't...
    How do you define emotion? Why does lack of emotion make slavery acceptable? Why does existence of emotion make slavery unacceptable? We've enslaved animals, such as dogs, which have emotions. Is that wrong?
    Depends on how you look at it

ReputationRep:
    I never said they didn't...
    I never said you said they didn't...

ReputationRep:
    "Enslavement" is not wrong if it isn't causing any unnecessary suffering to and violating the preferences of the being that is enslaved.

If, however, a robot wanted not to be enslaved, then the enslavement would be wrong. If non-human animals suffer unnecessarily when being enslaved, then the "enslavement" is wrong.

(Original post by viddy9)
    If, however, a robot wanted not to be enslaved, then the enslavement would be wrong. If non-human animals suffer unnecessarily when being enslaved, then the "enslavement" is wrong.
    How do you determine whether a creature wants to be enslaved or not? Most domestic animals would probably prefer to stay enslaved, but we can hardly ask them.

Can a robot want something, if it is the product of its programming? Isn't it forced by its programming? Isn't its programming enslaving it? But it is its programming

ReputationRep:
    How do you determine whether a creature wants to be enslaved or not? Most domestic animals would probably prefer to stay enslaved, but we can hardly ask them.

Can a robot want something, if it is the product of its programming? Isn't it forced by its programming? Isn't its programming enslaving it? But it is its programming
    Humans are simply biological machines. We have no free will. We are our own programming, too.

It depends on what action with respect to domestic animals we're talking about. Many of my fellow vegans, for instance, talk about the enslavement of animals for food. The meat industry certainly causes unnecessary suffering, and should be outlawed, and if we define its practices as enslavement, then that form of enslavement should be abolished.

Generally, society doesn't really use domestic animals as "slaves" anymore. If you could "enslave" a domesticated animal without causing it unnecessary harm, then that would be permissible. If it did cause them unnecessary harm, I'd rather we didn't breed such domesticated animals.

Basically, I don't think that "slavery" is intrinsically wrong unless it causes unnecessary suffering in the process.

ReputationRep:
    We create a sustainable environment where every living creatures' welfare are protected and cherished. We create toasters and washing machines that are happy to work in the way they do.

Animals should be domesticated not to exploit or cause unnecessary harm, but for symbiotic purposes. When I'm 65 years old I picture myself owning a firm with a herd of sheep and chickens and roosters because it's awesome.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.