Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Study Helper
    I've always found that I've struggled in the moment of using words and phrases where they have an opposite. For example:
    • Qualitative and quantitative
    • Objective and subjective
    I know what these words mean obviously, and I've used them for most of my life. So I don't think it's because I'm a simpleton. When I'm writing, like now I can use them easily.

But when I am talking, I always get them muddled up and the wrong way round. All the time, no matter how much I try to stop it.

Is that a known thing to be a problem? Like dyslexia?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    That's unusual, I've never had an issue like that. It might be because I associate word meanings with lots of things — perhaps someone knows something more?
    This might be a cheeky bump because I'm curious…
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by iEthan)
    That's unusual, I've never had an issue like that. It might be because I associate word meanings with lots of things — perhaps someone knows something more?
    This might be a cheeky bump because I'm curious…
    Thanks, yeah it might just be a common thing because the words are quite close to each other. I'm so good with other words and things though that it seems weird to have that block when talking.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    Thanks, yeah it might just be a common thing because the words are quite close to each other. I'm so good with other words and things though that it seems weird to have that block when talking.
    Do you have a general delay "pulling" words out of your memory when you re speaking to people or is it only particular words?
    As a dyslexic, I don't have this symptom but having a problem retrieving words from your memory is a thing for some people but if it's the only thing you struggle with you wouldn't get diagnosed with anything that I can think of.
    Not sure I m making sense here?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Do you have a general delay "pulling" words out of your memory when you re speaking to people or is it only particular words?
    Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

If you're thinking what I'm thinking, then I'm thinking that your thinking is right
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

If you're thinking what I'm thinking, then I'm thinking that your thinking is right
    I was thinking auditory processing or word retrieval difficulties? But that's an across the board thing not certain words?
    What were you thinking?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I was thinking auditory processing or word retrieval difficulties? But that's an across the board thing not certain words?
    What were you thinking?
    Not sure, but I was more intrigued with the whole doing of the thinking about what you're thinking thinking thing that I was thinking... You should try it! It's quite a thing to think about what someone is thinking and think that they're thinking what you're not thinking.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think having a drink or two helps with the whole thinking think thing!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Not sure, but I was more intrigued with the whole doing of the thinking about what you're thinking thinking thing that I was thinking... You should try it! It's quite a thing to think about what someone is thinking and think that they're thinking what you're not thinking.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think having a drink or two helps with the whole thinking think thing!
    My thinking was pretty logical in the sense of what learning difficulties or neurological conditions have word retrieval issues I don't try to read people's minds, although I m quite analytical i suppose. Yeah I haven't had a drink in six months, alcohol and dyspraxia are a big no go for obvious reasons
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    My thinking was pretty logical in the sense of what learning difficulties or neurological conditions have word retrieval issues I don't try to read people's minds, although I m quite analytical i suppose. Yeah I haven't had a drink in six months, alcohol and dyspraxia are a big no go for obvious reasons
    Fair enough! I think I'll shut up and leave now! (I also think you think that's a briliant idea!)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    I've always found that I've struggled in the moment of using words and phrases where they have an opposite. For example:
    • Qualitative and quantitative
    • Objective and subjective
    I know what these words mean obviously, and I've used them for most of my life. So I don't think it's because I'm a simpleton. When I'm writing, like now I can use them easily.

But when I am talking, I always get them muddled up and the wrong way round. All the time, no matter how much I try to stop it.

Is that a known thing to be a problem? Like dyslexia?
    That's a bit like something I do sometimes. I mix up words and say one while i'm thinking the other's meaning. I believe for me it's related to my dyslexia, but it is probably something you can get as bart of other learning disabilities (I always hate using that word, but it's what they're called) or even just as it's own thing.
    For me the main culprits are "grey" and "brown". I have no idea why cos they aren't even simmilar in any way.
    The examples you gave would be pretty easy for me to mess up too. I used to have difficulty with qual and quant but it eventually got drilled into my head through doing sociology. To start with for words where I mess up the meaning I might make up an explination. Like Qualitative gives quality answers and quantatitive is all about numbers (quantity).

You might want to see an educational psychologist about it if you're bothered by it or just really curious. You would need to ask your gp for a referal. You might also like to look up LDs like Dyslexia to see if any of the other symptoms fit. Online quizes for "do I have (x)" are terrible for an actual diagnosis but will give you an idea of symptoms so you can think about it.
    Main signs I had for dyslexia were mixing up words, poor vision for reading (but no actual issues with my eyes- look up pattern glare) like i'd see c l as d or get lost with what line I was on, difficulty with which way letters/ numbers go as a kid (backwards 5s), poor spelling (often with double letters) and difficulty following multiple people speaking (like in a group conversation). I didn't notice any of it until I got to uni since I was still getting good grades. Often people with dyslexia etc are still smart and will find coping mechanisms so it isn't obvious. I learnt to skim read instead of reading each word or just to avoid reading for instance.

Everybod has a little quirk though so if it doesn't bother you you don't need to look into it. Also learning disabilities are on a spectrum so you can be high functioning, low functioning, have a few things from other lds mixed in or just have some of the symptoms of one but not enough or not severe enough for it to be considered a learning disability. Basically means you could have that from dyslexia but not actually have dyslexia.

Hope that helps
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    As a dyslexic, I don't have this symptom but having a problem retrieving words from your memory is a thing for some people but if it's the only thing you struggle with you wouldn't get diagnosed with anything that I can think of.
    Not sure I m making sense here?
    This is something I get. I sometimes know the exact meaning of a word I want to use but just cant think of the word. Really annoys me when I'm writing something and it's important to the scentance structure. Also Iwill have trouble writing or speaking as quickly as i'm thinking things so can get a bit confused.

I also sometimes think in a way that kinda missed logical steps. Like in maths sometimes I will just recognise what an answer is without knowing how because i've seen simmilar equations so often. Or i''ll smell something and it will remind me of a pet fish because it smells blue, blue is the colour of the ocean, ocean has fish, I had fish. But for me it will just smell like an image of that fish kinda. It's quite difficult to explain :/
    I'll get annoyed by noises because i can't ignore them (clocks is my biggest annoyance), say words slightly wrong sometimes, change the volume, speed or tone of my talking witout realising it (will somtimes shout accidentally) or think others are being loud because they are usig a different tone (low tomne sounds loud to me).
    Worth mentioning I also have ADD so I have a mix of symptoms from that and dyslexia and don't always know which one something is from.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Kindred)
    This is something I get. I sometimes know the exact meaning of a word I want to use but just cant think of the word. Really annoys me when I'm writing something and it's important to the scentance structure. Also Iwill have trouble writing or speaking as quickly as i'm thinking things so can get a bit confused.

I also sometimes think in a way that kinda missed logical steps. Like in maths sometimes I will just recognise what an answer is without knowing how because i've seen simmilar equations so often. Or i''ll smell something and it will remind me of a pet fish because it smells blue, blue is the colour of the ocean, ocean has fish, I had fish. But for me it will just smell like an image of that fish kinda. It's quite difficult to explain :/
    I'll get annoyed by noises because i can't ignore them (clocks is my biggest annoyance), say words slightly wrong sometimes, change the volume, speed or tone of my talking witout realising it (will somtimes shout accidentally) or think others are being loud because they are usig a different tone (low tomne sounds loud to me).
    Worth mentioning I also have ADD so I have a mix of symptoms from that and dyslexia and don't always know which one something is from.
    I couldn't always say what my dyslexia and what's my dyspraxia, I feel your pain with noises I literally wish the world was silent as I can't concentrate well in rooms full of people talking although I think I just cope well enough that people don't think I m being rude.
    I understand that trouble writing, fortunately my slow processing speed doesn't effect me verbally most of the time.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.