The Student Room Group

AQA English poetry predictions CONFLICT

What are your predictions for poems in the conflict section? Tips for in the exam when structuring answer?

I think the yellow Palm or Belfast confetti is likely to come up!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ART2033
What are your predictions for poems in the conflict section? Tips for in the exam when structuring answer?

I think the yellow Palm or Belfast confetti is likely to come up!

Finally, a conflict thread! :tongue:

I will be so happy if Yellow Palm comes up.

Have you got any points of where to compare Belfast Confetti? I have nothing to say about it. It's also been predicted that Poppies may come up.

Structure-wise, I always use point, evidence, explain, effect on the reader, link back to the original point, alternative interpretation of a quote, link back to the original point.
My bet is on Falling Leaves, The Right word or Futility...
Tho wouldn't mind Yellow Palm coming up
Reply 3
Original post by toullbutsmall
My bet is on Falling Leaves, The Right word or Futility...
Tho wouldn't mind Yellow Palm coming up

The right word and the falling leaves won't come up as named poems as they're foundation only poems - although we can still compare them!
Original post by 11ahf
The right word and the falling leaves won't come up as named poems as they're foundation only poems - although we can still compare them!

Thanks for that advice :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by toullbutsmall
Thanks for that advice :smile:

Having said that, I just found this document http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-W-ENGLIT-CHANGES.PDF which says they might! It also gives a list for the unseen poems.
Original post by 11ahf

No, they may come up on higher. They changed it this year
Original post by 11ahf
Having said that, I just found this document http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-W-ENGLIT-CHANGES.PDF which says they might! It also gives a list for the unseen poems.

Yup you're right. Hardly anyone knows though so i'm guessing a lot of people won't revise those poems
Reply 8
Original post by Ella_08
No, they may come up on higher. They changed it this year

Just found out in document above. WHAT IS THERE TO WRITE ABOUT FLAG OR THE RIGHT WORD?! Literally nothing to say on them.
Original post by 11ahf
Just found out in document above. WHAT IS THERE TO WRITE ABOUT FLAG OR THE RIGHT WORD?! Literally nothing to say on them.

A few things for you...

FLAG
Personal pronoun “my friend” asking the audience to reconsider the meaning of flags

Repetition of “just a piece of cloth” an insignificant image to show how patriotism is worthless.

Personification “blind your conscience”.

Pun on “guts”, it can give men courage and victory but it also leads to death because their bodies have been blown up or attacked.

RIGHT WORD

Juxtaposition with "outside" at the start of the poem and "in" at the end of the poem. This suggests the transformation from problem to solution/ political to personal.

No structure reflects a difficulty of finding an agreed point of view and society’s political disagreements.
I've looked at all the past papers and futility and falling leaves are the only two that didn't come up or been associated with another that has come up.
Also how do you structure your paragraphs. i know is 3 double petal but what do you talk about in those 3 (e.g tone etc.)?
Reply 11
Original post by Ella_08
A few things for you...

FLAG
Personal pronoun “my friend” asking the audience to reconsider the meaning of flags

Repetition of “just a piece of cloth” an insignificant image to show how patriotism is worthless.

Personification “blind your conscience”.

Pun on “guts”, it can give men courage and victory but it also leads to death because their bodies have been blown up or attacked.

RIGHT WORD

Juxtaposition with "outside" at the start of the poem and "in" at the end of the poem. This suggests the transformation from problem to solution/ political to personal.

No structure reflects a difficulty of finding an agreed point of view and society’s political disagreements.

:O Thank you! Very helpful!

Do you have anything on Belfast Confetti? The only poem I'm good at is The Yellow Palm so if you need any points on that one, let me know. c;
Original post by 11ahf

Do you have anything on Belfast Confetti? The only poem I'm good at is The Yellow Palm so if you need any points on that one, let me know. c;

No problem :smile: Ahah i'm good at the yellow palm too but thanks for the offer ;p And well I'm just typing my notes up for Belfast Confetti but maybe when i'm done i'll give you some points. I hate that poem but everyone's saying it will come up and I bet it does :frown: I'm really hoping for poppies/futility/falling leaves/charge of the light brigade/next to of course. If any of those come up I will be fine!
Reply 13
Original post by Ella_08
No problem :smile: Ahah i'm good at the yellow palm too but thanks for the offer ;p And well I'm just typing my notes up for Belfast Confetti but maybe when i'm done i'll give you some points. I hate that poem but everyone's saying it will come up and I bet it does :frown: I'm really hoping for poppies/futility/falling leaves/charge of the light brigade/next to of course. If any of those come up I will be fine!

Poppies vs Falling Leaves would be a nice comparison
I'm hoping for the Yellow Palm or 'Come on, Come back'
Reply 14
guys whats the best way to revise on the last day before the exam? i have made my notes but whats the best way to remember them? im predicted an A/B
Original post by 11ahf
Poppies vs Falling Leaves would be a nice comparison
I'm hoping for the Yellow Palm or 'Come on, Come back'

Definitely! It would be great. I like Yellow Palm but come on come back, nah.. yuck! :tongue: The unseen poem is always alright i think
Reply 16
Original post by Ella_08
Definitely! It would be great. I like Yellow Palm but come on come back, nah.. yuck! :tongue: The unseen poem is always alright i think

I love Come on, Come back! :redface:

But it's unlikely to be named because it came up in 2014.
Reply 17
Original post by ruby1999
guys whats the best way to revise on the last day before the exam? i have made my notes but whats the best way to remember them? im predicted an A/B

Make sure to know key points about your favourite 1-3 poems. If you know enough good points you can adapt them to any question or poem that comes up, they are all related to each other in some way or they wouldnt be in the same section. Go through past papers and bullet point answers. You can also make comparison lists between your chosen poem and a poem that is likely to come up.
Reply 18
I love Mamatez wood, but it came up last year :frown:( I think Belfast Confetti might come up though, which is an alright one.
Reply 19
Original post by 11ahf

For Belfast Confetti:

The work 'confetti' is ironic as it usually describes a celebration/ union however in this context it is describing war a desuction. Alternatively it can be seen as a symbol for debris from an explosion.

The extended metaphor of punctuation shows how conflict is interrupting his train pf of thought and life on a broader sense. Peace is disrupted by language.

'Hyphenated line' could link or divide.

Structure- no structure reflects chaotic atmosphere

Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending