Graduate Scheme Application

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    So I've been applying to schemes for a while and read a lot on how to write successful CVs and cover letters! But a specific scheme I'm currently applying to doesn't ask for a CV or a cover letter, neither does it have an online application form. Instead it says they'd like to get to know you, so email them about your education history, relevant experience, interests and a answer to a question they provide. Therefore do I just send them the information they've asked for? Or should I also express why I'm applying to them, why I'd be a good fit, why I'm passionate about the industry, etc? (I know the usual advice is send a cover letter if you can) Just this scheme application seems to want to be a little less formal in my eyes... Any advice would be great! I don't want to be seen as sending a generic application when it seems like they want only specific information.

Thank you for reading this far!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan02)
    So I've been applying to schemes for a while and read a lot on how to write successful CVs and cover letters! But a specific scheme I'm currently applying to doesn't ask for a CV or a cover letter, neither does it have an online application form. Instead it says they'd like to get to know you, so email them about your education history, relevant experience, interests and a answer to a question they provide. Therefore do I just send them the information they've asked for? Or should I also express why I'm applying to them, why I'd be a good fit, why I'm passionate about the industry, etc? (I know the usual advice is send a cover letter if you can) Just this scheme application seems to want to be a little less formal in my eyes... Any advice would be great! I don't want to be seen as sending a generic application when it seems like they want only specific information.

Thank you for reading this far!
    That's very unusual... do they specifically say not to provide a CV?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    That's very unusual... do they specifically say not to provide a CV?
    They don't specifically say that, I just feel if I send my CV it might look like I haven't read through their application process and just sent a generic application. Here's the PDF of the job posting, the info about applying is on the last page http://www.think.eu/assets/resources...202016_Web.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply btw

ReputationRep:
    They don't specifically say that, I just feel if I send my CV it might look like I haven't read through their application process and just sent a generic application. Here's the PDF of the job posting, the info about applying is on the last page http://www.think.eu/assets/resources...202016_Web.pdf
    I will confess to not having read the PDF in its entirely, however it fortunately does not prohibit the use of a CV, and therefore I would definitely include your CV in your application. You may be able to provide the rest of the required information via a cover letter, or you may be able to just answer the question(s). If in doubt I would contact the company directly.

ReputationRep:
    Creative industries like these sometimes provide vague formatting criteria to see in what ways your present the information. There's probably a 101 directions you could go in - but which ever one you go for, think about what skills you will need in the job and how that can be shown in the format as well as the evidence/content.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd say, use the basic principles of a CV and a covering letter, but answer their questions in the covering letter, and feel free to be a little more creative about the styling (use theirs as a guide!) and you can relax the tone a little (although note they are relaxed and friendly, but aren't using slang or being too casual).

They've thought very hard about this advert, and they want people to fit. However, note they do ask for some of the CV/covering letter basics. So basically you have to blend the two together.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.